[comp.lang.modula2] Oberon for MSDOS Available

iam@waikato.ac.nz (Ian McDonald) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar8.232008.15369@tandem.com>, erv@k2.everest.TANDEM.COM (E. R. Videki) writes:
> I am making available an Oberon compiler and associated tools for the MSDOS
> (Intel 80x86) environment.  For a short time, this will be provided free to
> anyone who asks for it via network mail.
>
> Our system's rules do not permit someone from outside reaching in to grab the
> file, so you must provide for me FTP information for me to give it to you
> (userid, password, directory, and PLEASE make the directory writeable by the
> userid!) .

How about posting it to a common archive site such as Simtel?  If somebody else
is willing to act as an archive site I'll take a copy.
Ian McDonald  |
52 Cook Street|                                             /  /\  /\
Hamilton      |   This space free for advertising !!       /  /  \/  \
New Zealand   |                                           /  /        \
+64-71-563438 |   I can receive mail but can't reply to it.

Dave.Paulsen@p1.f2.n346.z1.fidonet.org (Dave Paulsen) (03/11/91)

In a msg on <10 Mar 91>, E. R. Videki wrote to All:

 ERV>I am making available an Oberon compiler and associated tools for the
 ERV>MSDOS
 ERV>(Intel 80x86) environment.  For a short time, this will be provided
 ERV>free to
 ERV>anyone who asks for it via network mail.

If anyone picks this up and makes it file requestable over FidoNet at HST speeds, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

_dave_

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!346!2.1!Dave.Paulsen
Internet: Dave.Paulsen@p1.f2.n346.z1.fidonet.org

ZAWADZME%WBLYC@dupont.COM ("Mark E. Zawadzki, (03/12/91)

=On Fri, 8 Mar 91 23:20:08 GMT <editor%ucf1vm.BITNET@LILAC.BERKELEY.EDU> said:
=>I am making available an Oberon compiler and associated tools for the MSDOS
=>(Intel 80x86) environment.  For a short time, this will be provided free to
=>anyone who asks for it via network mail.
=>
=>
=...
=>If you would like the package of compiler, library routines, and some
=>utilities, plus documentation files, contact me:
=>
=>       E. R. Videki
=>       erv @ k2.everest.tandem.com
=>       internet: 130.252.59.153
=>
=>Distribution is in the form of a single binary file which un-Zips itself into
=>the package when executed under MSDOS (PKZIP format).
=>
=>Our system's rules do not permit someone from outside reaching in to grab the
=>file, so you must provide for me FTP information for me to give it to you
=>(userid, password, directory, and PLEASE make the directory writeable by the
=>userid!) .
=>
=>The file must be moved to a MSDOS machine in BINARY (!!!)  and executed in
=>the subdirectory where you want the unzipped files.
=>
=>
=>-- ERV  6 Mar 91
=>--
=
=    I dont have acess to internet. How can i get this compiler?
=  Please some one can help me?
=
=

	DITTO for ME !

			mez

Jon.Guthrie@p25.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Jon Guthrie) (03/13/91)

 On a message of 10-Mar-91, E. R. Videki (1:105/42.0) Said:

 > I am making available an Oberon compiler and associated tools for the
 > MSDOS (Intel 80x86) environment.  For a short time, this will be
 > provided free to anyone who asks for it via network mail.

Since I am (unfortunately) not a part of your network, what are the
odds of you making the compiler available on a 360k floppy disk?

(Yes, of COURSE I'd like to be tapped into internet.  It's just not
feasible at this time.)

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!106!506.25!Jon.Guthrie
Internet: Jon.Guthrie@p25.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org

Robert.Garcia@f3.n397.z1.fidonet.org (Robert Garcia) (03/13/91)

In a message of <Mar 10 15:39>, E. R. Videki (1:105/42@fidonet) writes:
 ERV>I am making available an Oberon compiler and associated tools for the
 ERV>MSDOS
 ERV>(Intel 80x86) environment.  For a short time, this will be provided free
 ERV>anyone who asks for it via network mail.

As I don't have Internet access, would it be possible for me to send you diskettes in a prepaid mailer to obtain your compiler?

Thanx,
Rob

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!397!3!Robert.Garcia
Internet: Robert.Garcia@f3.n397.z1.fidonet.org

Jim.Yahnke@f204.n202.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Yahnke) (03/13/91)

 ER> If you would like the package of compiler, library routines, and some
 ER> utilities, plus documentation files, contact me:

 ER>       E. R. Videki
 ER>       erv @ k2.everest.tandem.com
 ER>       internet: 130.252.59.153
 ER>
 ER> Distribution is in the form of a single
 ER> binary file which un-Zips itself into
 ER> the package when executed under MSDOS (PKZIP format).

Mr. Videki,

How does one from the Fidonet get ahold of your compiler?  Could you please give us a U.S. Mail address? It would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Jim Yahnke

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!202!204!Jim.Yahnke
Internet: Jim.Yahnke@f204.n202.z1.fidonet.org

Mike.Corby@f27.n253.z2.fidonet.org (Mike Corby) (03/15/91)

Hi E.!

In a message of <10 Mar 91>, E. R. Videki (1:105/42.0) writes:

 EV> I am making available an Oberon compiler and associated tools for the
 EV> MSDOS (Intel 80x86) environment.  For a short time, this will be
 EV> provided free to anyone who asks for it via network mail.

 EV> If you would like the package of compiler, library routines, and some
 EV> utilities, plus documentation files, contact me:

 EV>        E. R. Videki
 EV>        erv @ k2.everest.tandem.com
 EV>        internet: 130.252.59.153

 EV> Distribution is in the form of a single binary file which un-Zips
 EV> itself into the package when executed under MSDOS (PKZIP format).

 EV> Our system's rules do not permit someone from outside reaching in to
 EV> grab the file, so you must provide for me FTP information for me to
 EV> give it to you (userid, password, directory, and PLEASE make the
 EV> directory writeable by the userid!) .

I would very much like a copy of Oberon, but am not too sure how to go about getting it!
Is it possible to file request it from some where?

Mike
P.S.  I am a regular user of JPI's modula2.....

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!253!27!Mike.Corby
Internet: Mike.Corby@f27.n253.z2.fidonet.org

Frank.Warren@f42.n161.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Warren) (03/19/91)

I'm quite interested in seeing Oberon and trying it but am on Fido and not
the internet (haven't been for a few years now; alas, living solely in the
DOS world).  If you can provide an address and mail stop I'll be glad to ship
the requisite number of blank diskettes and/or reimburse you for the trouble.
 I can then, if you so desire, make it available via FIDONET, or not, as you
wish.

Thanks for considering the matter...

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!161!42!Frank.Warren
Internet: Frank.Warren@f42.n161.z1.fidonet.org

myers@hpctdpc.HP.COM (Rick Myers) (03/26/91)

 / hpctdpc:comp.lang.modula2 / Jim.Yahnke@f204.n202.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Yahnke) /  8:02 am  Mar 13, 1991 /

> Mr. Videki,
>
> How does one from the Fidonet get ahold of your compiler?  Could you please give us a U.S. Mail address? It would be appriciated.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Jim Yahnke
>
> --
> uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!202!204!Jim.Yahnke
> Internet: Jim.Yahnke@f204.n202.z1.fidonet.org
 ----------

Huh?  If you can read this group (comp.lang.modula2) then the mechanics
are definitely there in order for you to read alt.sources!!!  If you
do not have access to alt.sources, then gripe to your news administrator,
not Mr. Videki!!!

gkt@iitmax.iit.edu (George Thiruvathukal) (03/28/91)

In article <3500006@hpctdpc.HP.COM>, myers@hpctdpc.HP.COM (Rick Myers) writes:

>  / hpctdpc:comp.lang.modula2 / Jim.Yahnke@f204.n202.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Yahnke) /  8:02 am  Mar 13, 1991 /
>
> > Mr. Videki,
> >
> > How does one from the Fidonet get ahold of your compiler?  Could you please
> > give us a U.S. Mail address? It would be appriciated.
>
> Huh?  If you can read this group (comp.lang.modula2) then the mechanics
> are definitely there in order for you to read alt.sources!!!  If you
> do not have access to alt.sources, then gripe to your news administrator,
> not Mr. Videki!!!

I cannot understand what is wrong with the second question, so I would like to
post it again with some modification: is it possible for one to obtain the
compiler by U.S. mail?  If so, could the U.S. mail address please be posted by
Mr. Videki.

It would also be interesting to know whether an FTP site has been established
for people to obtain the compiler.

I apologize to the newsgroup if the matters above have already been discussed
ad nauseum, but I was on vacation for ten days and the news stories have all
been deleted by our news software.

Thanks for any helpful information.

--
George Thiruvathukal

Laboratory for Parallel Computing and Languages
Illinois Institute of Technology
Chicago

erv@everest.TANDEM.COM (E. Videki) (03/29/91)

I've received a lot of requests again where to find
the Oberon-M files.  Here's a reprint of the information:

How to get the Oberon-M package
for the MSDOS environment.

Some (but not all) of the network problems have
been cleared up, so here is where you can
obtain my Oberon-M package for MSDOS at
your own fetching:

1) SIMTEL20
	machine name: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
	Internet address: 26.2.0.74, 192.88.110.20
	subdirectory: pd1:<msdos.pgmutl>
	file names:   OBERONM.ZIP
	fetch how:    anonymous FTP
	unpack how:   PKZIP under MSDOS

2) UCSD
	machine name: ucsd, ucsd.edu, pop.ucsd.edu
	Internet address: 128.54.16.1
	subdirectory: ~ftp/pub
	file names:   oberonm.exe, oberonm.info
	fetch how:    anonymous FTP
	unpack how:  For oberonm.exe: binary transfer
			to MSDOS, then execute (self
			unzipping files)
		      For oberonm.info: ascii transfer
		      	for human reading

3) ETH Zurich  (may not be permanent)
	machine name: neptune.inf.ethz.ch
	Internet address: 129.132.101.33
	subdirectory: Oberon/80186
	file names:   oberonm.exe, oberonm.info
	fetch how:    anonymous FTP
	unpack how:    For oberonm.exe: binary transfer
			to MSDOS, then execute (self
			unzipping files)
		      For oberonm.info: ascii transfer
		      	for human reading
	*** Note: ETH has not tested this package
	extensively and does not claim or disclaim
	its validity relative to the ETH Oberon
	System.  Keeping the files here is only
	being done as a courtesy to European
	users who want to fetch it from a closer
	location.  It may become permanent in the
	future.

4) comp.binaries.ibm.pc
	machine name: Usenet newsgroup
	Internet address: N/A
	file formats:	5 uuencoded "mail" messages
	fetch how:	capture the messages
	unpack how:	Instructions are at the
			head of the first message.
	*** Note: at the time of this posting,
	comp.binaries.ibm.pc does not yet have
	the files publicly available, but is
	expected to relatively soon.

5) alt.sources
	(same as in comp.binaries.ibm.pc , but
	available here also by request from some
	users)

--E. Videki    21 Mar 91
   erv @ k2.everest.tandem.com

Jon.Guthrie@p25.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Jon Guthrie) (03/29/91)

 On a message of 27-Mar-91, Rick Myers (1:105/42.0) Said:

 > Huh?  If you can read this group (comp.lang.modula2) then the mechanics
 > are definitely there in order for you to read alt.sources!!!  If you do
 > not have access to alt.sources, then gripe to your news administrator,
 > not Mr. Videki!!!

Let me explain something to you.  What we have here is two networks
(usenet and FidoNet) that are cross-linked.  If you're accessing this
echo through FidoNet (if you're on Usenet, you call it a newsgroup -
same thing, almost) then you ONLY have access to comp.lang.modula2.
YOU DO NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO ACCESS alt.sources!

I will agree that griping at Mr. Videki is not going to produce the
desired results, but griping at SOMEONE might help.  (Only, of course,
if that someone has access to both Usenet and allows FidoNet File
Requests.)

As it happens, there IS a place where the file OBERONM.ZIP is FREQable
from FidoNet (and he even likes points,) it's 1:397/2.

One crotchet about the file:  The documentation is in PostScript.
While I am sure that those people accessing this from usenet all have
1200 dpi laser typesetters that talk postscript, most of the world
doesn't have anything like that.  In particular _I_ don't.  It would
have been nice to have a plain ASCII text file with the documentation
so that I could simply print it out on my (out of date, but still
hanging in there) MX-100.

In any case, I'll get down off my soapbox now.

--

Jim.Yahnke@f204.n202.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Yahnke) (03/30/91)

In a message to All <27 Mar 91 02:03> Rick Myers wrote:

 RM> From: myers@hpctdpc.HP.COM (Rick Myers)
 RM> Date: 25 Mar 91 16:04:23 GMT
 RM> Newsgroups: comp.lang.modula2

 RM> / hpctdpc:comp.lang.modula2 /
 RM> Jim.Yahnke@f204.n202.z1.fidonet.org
 RM> (Jim Yahnke) /  8:02 am  Mar 13, 1991 /
 RM>
 >> Mr. Videki,
 >>
 >> How does one from the Fidonet get ahold of your compiler?
 RM> Could you please give us a U.S. Mail address? It would be appreciated.
 >>
 >> Thanks,
 >>

 >> Jim Yahnke
 >>
 >> --
 >> uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!202!204!Jim.Yahnke
 >> Internet: Jim.Yahnke@f204.n202.z1.fidonet.org
 RM> ----------

 RM> Huh?  If you can read this group (comp.lang.modula2) then the mechanics
 RM> are definitely there in order for you to read alt.sources!!!  If you
 RM> do not have access to alt.sources, then gripe to your news
 RM> administrator,
 RM> not Mr. Videki!!!

Mr. Myers,

I am reading the Modula-2 echo from fidonet, as stated in my previous message.  Fidonet is the network of private BBS's round the world which carries all sorts of interesting echo's much like your UUCP.

The Modula-2 echo is brought to us (I believe) by a fellow up in Portland, Oregon. He has the appropriate gateway software which allows you and I to communicate.  We DO NOT get comp.lang.hardware.everthing.else, so file transfers are out of the question.

Since my first request March 13th, Mr Videki has released his compiler. I believe it has been captured and will be available for distribution here on the Fidonet relatively soon.

Please bear with us.

Jim

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!202!204!Jim.Yahnke
Internet: Jim.Yahnke@f204.n202.z1.fidonet.org

Mike.Corby@f27.n253.z2.fidonet.org (Mike Corby) (04/01/91)

Hi Jon,

In a msg of <28 Mar 91>, Jon Guthrie writes to Rick Myers:

 JG> As it happens, there IS a place where the file OBERONM.ZIP is FREQable
 JG> from FidoNet (and he even likes points,) it's 1:397/2.

 JG> One crotchet about the file:  The documentation is in PostScript.
 JG> While I am sure that those people accessing this from usenet all have
 JG> 1200 dpi laser typesetters that talk postscript, most of the world
 JG> doesn't have anything like that.  In particular _I_ don't.  It would
If you can lay your hands on Goscript, you can print them ( after A LONG delay!)
 JG> have been nice to have a plain ASCII text file with the documentation
 JG> so that I could simply print it out on my (out of date, but still
 JG> hanging in there) MX-100.

 JG> In any case, I'll get down off my soapbox now.

P.S. OBERONM.ZIP is available at 2:253/27 in the UK....

Mike

--

Ola.Garstad@f100.n502.z2.fidonet.org (Ola Garstad) (04/04/91)

 > As it happens, there IS a place where the file
 > OBERONM.ZIP is FREQable
 > from FidoNet (and he even likes points,) it's 1:397/2.

Yes, but he hangs up on me when I call from zone 2. :-(

Anyway - the file is now also available for filerequest at 2:502/15.

HST/V32

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!502!100!Ola.Garstad
Internet: Ola.Garstad@f100.n502.z2.fidonet.org