[comp.lang.modula2] Amiga Oberon

Dave.Scheele.@.952/101@f8.n10.z1.fidonet.org (Dave Scheele @ 952/101) (08/08/90)

A while back someone mentioned that there was an Amiga version of
Oberon available.  I am interested in obtaining it.  Does anyone know
where I could get it from?  Any method of getting it is fine; I am not
afraid of LD phone calls if that's the only way.

 # Origin: Info Exchange RBBS * 620 megs * 412/482-4721/HST/DS (8:952/101.0)

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!10!8!Dave.Scheele.@.952/101
Internet: Dave.Scheele.@.952/101@f8.n10.z1.fidonet.org

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (10/25/90)

   Is there an FTP site (ANYWHERE???) that has the Demo of the Oberon
compiler that is on Fred Fish 380?

   While I'm here are (is there) a UNIX (ULTRIX) version out there. And
are there books on Oberon out there??

--
 adam hill                                 "I will tell you three things.."
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu                     Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

davego@polari.UUCP (dave oliphant) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr2.160215.28152@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> vsanchez@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Victor Sanchez) writes:
>Has anybody used the Oberon Compiler fro the Amiga? The one distributed
>by A+L? Could you post some review on it and update the information
>about prices, availability etc... Thanks
>
>				Victor Sanchez
>				N.U. Prosthetics Reas. Lab.

AMIGA OBERON IN ENGLISH

Dear,

Thank you for your inquiry concerning Amiga Oberon in English, the new
Modula-2 like language from Prof. Niklaus Wirth.  As we may expect, you are
familiar with the PD version of Amiga Obveron which is distributed on a
Fish disk, e.g.  If you don't have it yet, you may get such a disk from
your next PD copy center or directly from us sending us the equivalent of
SFr 10.-(approximately US$10.-)

If you are interested in buying the product Amiga Oberon ( with no
limitations, full set of modules including source code, a folder with more
than 300 pages of documentation, 3 disks full with examples and software),
we need to give you some explanations:

So far there is just a documentation in German available, no English
translation is planned.  This has a very simple reason:  In 1987, when we
published M2Amiga, our Modula-2 development system for the Amiga, we
produced it in German and in English.  The first German version we sold in
an extremely short time; the inquiry rate was so high that we got sometimes
bundles of mail per day.  The English version, mainly in the USA, didn't
sell in enough large quantities to cover the expenses.  The main reason
here was, that Aerican warehouse companies didn't take the product in
their price lists because we didn't allow them to go below a certain price
limit - all of us have to live, and we cannot afford to let the prices

[2 lines missing from letter]

happened to several competitors who allowed the warehouses in the US to
discount their products).

As long as we may not be convinced, that there is a satisfying demand for
Amiga Oberon we are not willing to invest in an English translation and
production.  Although we don't mind to sell the German version to anyone
who likes it- it costs SFr. 270.-/US$250.-.  The manual is easy to read and
contains lots of examples; with some help of a dictionary ever a non-German
reader can well understand how to use AMiga Oberon.

We expect your understanding and are looking forward to your response on
Oberon.

With kind regards,

This is the letter I received from A-L AG when I requested information.
I guess just send them $250 and your all set.

--
davego@polari.UUCP                                   Dave G. Oliphant
"Just where is dave going, anyway?"                  (206) 325-5669

BUCHEK@ROSEVC.ROSE-HULMAN.EDU ("I'm a Comp Sci and I'm okay.") (04/15/91)

I have (and use) the freely distributable version of Oberon for the Amiga,
and the documentation says that an Australian company is working on
an English version of the compiler.  The comercial version was supposed
to come out in "September 1990."  Here is the address of the company:

     Tenera Merx Productions Pty Ltd
     Util 1, 25 Buckingham Drive
     Wangara WA 6065
     Australia

It seems that they were responsible for translating some of the
documentation that comes with the freely distributable version.
I am anxious to see what kind of package they will put out.
I will be writing to the company as well, and will post any further
information they may provide.

Craig M. Buchek
buchek@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu
"I'm a Comp Sci and I'm okay.  I geek all night and I sleep all day."

m89mph@ECS.OXFORD.AC.UK (04/17/91)

Well I'm English, and can I get hold of the PD Oberon for the Amiga ?
 The Hell I can!

Do you know if it's FTP'able (anonymously) from the States?
 (Or can it be compressed ad mailed to me)

Mark P. Harrison
  (Well I can use the SPARC Station or the Amiga, so I use the Amiga)

 Balliol College
 Oxford