[comp.lang.modula2] Compiler reviews

Cees.van.Kessel@p4465.f14.n512.z2.fidonet.org (Cees van Kessel) (05/01/91)

During a recent cleanup of my paper stack I found several article copies on
compiler reviews.  Another trip to the Uni library completed the list and here
its:

Ribar, L.J. "OS/2 Programming goes Modula-2" Computer Language 83-89,
Nov. 1990
   Compiler reviewed:
   Jensen & Partners International: TopSpeed Modula-2 v. 2.0 rel. 1.05b
   MultiScope Inc.:                 MultiScope Modula OS/2 v. 1.02
   Stony Brook Software:            Professional Modula-2 v. 2.10

Taylor, D. Software Reviews, Computer Language, 91-95, Nov. 1990
   Compiler reviewed:
   Metrowerks Modula-2 PSE, $ 179

Righter, D.A. Programmer's Corner, "TopSpeed Modula-2 with Object
Extensions." J. of Pascal, Ada & Modula-2, 56-58, July/Aug. 1990
   Compilers reviewed:
   Jensen & Partners International: TopSpeed Modula-2 v.2.0

Schulman, A. "Modula-2 and OS/2 Join Forces." BYTE, 171-174, Aug.
1989.
   Compilers reviewed:
   Logitech, Inc.:           Modula OS/2, v. 1.00
   Stony Brook Software:     Professional Modula-2 2.0
   Jensen and Partners Int.: TopSpeed Modula-2 OS/2 v. 1.20

Anderson B.R. Software Review, "Stony Brook Modula-2", J. of Pascal,
Ada & Modula-2, 69-73, May/June 1990.
   Compilers reviewed:
   Stony Brook Software Inc.:       Professional Modula-2 v. 2.02

Ladd, S.R. "Modula-2 Compilers: New Kids on the Block Mature." Computer
Language 99-110, March 1989.
   Compiler reviewed:
   Fitted Software Tools:           FST Modula-2 v. 2.0a
   Interface Technologies Corp.:    M2SDS-XP v. 2.2
   Jensen & Partners International: TopSpeed Modula-2 v.1.14
   Logitech Inc.:                   Modula-2 v. 3.03
   Stony Brook Software Inc.:       Modula-2 v. 1.2
                                    QuickMod v. 1.0
   Tayloris Software A.G.:          TaylorModula-2 v. 2.1
   Workman & Associates:            FTL Modula-2 v. 1.12

Haltiwanger, M.E. "Software Reviews." J. of Pascal, Ada & Modula-2,
54-56, Jan./Febr. 1989
   Compilers reviewed:
   Jensen & Partners International: TopSpeed Modula-2 v.1.12

Porter, K. "The State-of-the-Art in Modula-2." Dr. Dobb's Journal,
64-81, 100-106, Sept. 1988
   Compilers reviewed:
   Workman & Associates:            FTL Modula-2 v. 1.08
   Logitech Inc.:                   Modula-2 v. 3.03
   Jensen & Partners International: TopSpeed Modula-2 v.1.10
   Stony Brook Software Inc.:       Modula-2 v. 1.10

Maturo, L.R. "Comparison of Five Low Cost PC Modula-2 Compilers",
J. of Pascal, Ada & Modula-2, 5-13, Vol. 7 No. 3, May/June 1988
   Compilers reviewed:
   Workman & Associates:            FTL Modula-2 v. 0.97
   Interface Technologies Corp.:    Modula-2 Development System v. 2.1a
   Fitted Software Tools:           FST Modula-2 v. 1.2
   Modula Corporation               Modula-2, v. 1.0
   Farbware                         Farbware Modula-2 v. 1.2.4

Sand, P.A. "Three Modula-2 Programming Systems", BYTE, 333-336, Jan.
1987.
   Compilers reviewed:
   Logitech Inc.:         Modula-2/86 Development System v. 2.00
   Modula Corporation:    Native Code Modula-2
   PCollier Systems Inc.: Modula-2PC

Shammas, N.C. "Modula-2 Compilers for the IBM PC." Dr. Dobb's
Journal, 48-63, Oct. 1986.
   Compilers reviewed:
   PCollier Systems Inc.          Modula-2PC, v. 1.0
   Interface Technologies Corp.:  M2SDS v. 2.00
   Logitech Inc.                  Modula-2/86 Development System v. 2.00
   Modula Corporation             PCModula-2, v. 1.0
This might be of some help with your next investment or makes you just be happy
with what you have ...

Many regards,
Cees van Kessel

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!512!14.4465!Cees.van.Kessel
Internet: Cees.van.Kessel@p4465.f14.n512.z2.fidonet.org

eepjm@cc.newcastle.edu.au (05/07/91)

In article <2934.2821B3F2@puddle.fidonet.org>,
   Cees.van.Kessel@p4465.f14.n512.z2.fidonet.org (Cees van Kessel) writes:
> During a recent cleanup of my paper stack I found several article copies on
> compiler reviews.  Another trip to the Uni library completed the list and here
> its:

 [and then follows a list of references to review articles for various
  Modula-2 compilers]

This is undoubtedly useful stuff, but I'm feeling lazy, so it's worth
asking the question: has anyone read these reviews (and/or other sources
of information) to the point of being to reach some general conclusions
- for example, is it possible to make statements of the form "almost
everyone agrees that Brand X is far superior to its competitors"?  Or does
it simply turn out that different reviewers have different opinions?

For the record, here is what I know about the subject:
1. I've used several different Modula-2 compilers for the VAX, and they were
   all of unacceptable quality.  (Sorry, I can't remember the names of the
   suppliers, though I could ask our computing centre if anyone really wants
   to know).
2. I've briefly used a Logitech compiler for the IBM PC before giving up
   in disgust - though I've since been told that that was an old version and
   that some of the problems with it have been fixed.
3. I've used FTL for the IBM PC very extensively over the last few years,
   and am generally satisfied although I can see some room for improvement.
   I have a rather long list of bugs for this one (but this is not a
   criticism, I believe that I would accumulate an equally long list for
   *any* compiler that I had used that heavily).  It has only two really
   severe faults: (a) all the built-in floating point operations are badly
   designed (slow, and not re-entrant so that programs crash when you try
   to use multitasking); (b) it can only produce Real Address Mode code,
   i.e. it ignores the segmentation hardware of the 80286 and up and
   therefore you are limited to program size < 640K.  There are a few other
   aspects of the compiler design with which I disagree, but I didn't plan
   to make this posting a full review (Could produce a full review, I
   suppose, if enough people want it).
4. I've seen lots of commentary, in this group and elsewhere, on various
   other compilers but very little on *comparative* judgements - most
   people, like me, probably know only one compiler really well and
   therefore can't answer the interesting question of "which is better than
   which".

Peter Moylan                        eepjm@cc.newcastle.edu.au