[comp.lang.modula2] I could use some help right now....

NORVELL@KNOX.BITNET (ozymandias G desiderata) (05/04/91)

        Hello out there. I was wondering if anybody could help me with
a problem that I have. I recently got access to both macOberon and the
MLP public domain version of Modula-2 at the Apple server, so I thought I'd
take a look at them. I used the BITFTP server at Princeton to FTP to Apple
(because I'm on a VAX system running VMS). I set the transfer mode to BINARY
FIXED 512 (so that I would not choke the VAX - it doesn't like buffers longer
thatn 512 bytes). The files got sent to me in many little pieces that needed
to be reassembled by a program called BITRCV. I didn't have that, but through
pluck, perserverance, and hard work got myself a copy. I received the files. I
am now attempting to transfer the .hqx files over to a Macintosh so that I can
use them. The file I am using to make the transfer is Kermit, a standard VAX
version on the VAX, and Mac Kermit version 0.98(62) for the Macintosh. Whenever
I attempt to decode the binHex files on the Mac (using StuffIt), I cannot be-
cause somehow the files have been corrupted. My pet theory is that the files
need to be RECEIVED in a binary format, and BITRCV doesn't do that, or some-
thing. Is there anything any of you can do for me? I'd really like to get my
hands on this software and I'm clueless as to what's going on. I would greatly
appreciate any help any of you could give me. If I did something wrong in the
process of receiving them, is there any way I can fix this? Send any responses
to me at NORVELL@KNOX.BITNET. The sooner the better (impatient youth!).

                                                Thanks Much,
                                                ozymandias G desiderata

ldg@yoda.byu.edu (05/08/91)

In <INFO-M2%91050315505780@UCF1VM.BITNET>,  NORVELL@KNOX.BITNET
(ozymandias G desiderata) writes:

>        Hello out there. I was wondering if anybody could help me with
>a problem that I have. I recently got access to both macOberon and the
>MLP public domain version of Modula-2 at the Apple server, so I thought I'd
>take a look at them. I used the BITFTP server at Princeton to FTP to Apple
>(because I'm on a VAX system running VMS). I set the transfer mode to BINARY
>FIXED 512 (so that I would not choke the VAX - it doesn't like buffers longer
>than 512 bytes). ...
> [consequences deleted]

While it is true that the VAX will spite you if you send it long lines
without the necessary line-terminating linefeed, which is what would happen
if you were to send it a binary file, the files you were after are _not_
binary. The original files have been Stuffed (using StuffIt) then binhexed
(also using StuffIt) and are now sitting there as ordinary text format files.
Try your transfer again using ascii text format, then use kermit to transfer
them to your Mac. The lines are something less than 80 characters long, so
there should be no problem.

>Send any responses
>to me at NORVELL@KNOX.BITNET. The sooner the better (impatient youth!).

Email from our network to bitnet nodes sometimes fails for no obvious
reason, so I will post this as well as trying to Email you.

Enjoy MacLogimo Plus! We are working on the new version at present. Send me
any comments, etc., you might have.

--Lyle

Lyle D. Gunderson N6KSZ | "Any technology without       | ldg@yoda.byu.edu
350 CB/BYU              | some attendant risk of misuse | CIS: 73760,2354
Provo UT 84602          | is probably trivial"          | GEnie: L.GUNDERSON
                        |             --Louise Kohl     | AOL: LGunderson

John.Montbriand@f43.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John Montbriand) (05/08/91)

To:  NORVELL@KNOX.BITNET (ozymandias G desiderata)
Hi!
     I've encountered similar problems with binhexed files before.  So far
the only solution I've been able to work out is to use binhex 4.0--even if
the file does not completely de-binhex,  this version will leave the
partially de-binhexed file on the disk--from there you can use stufit to get
part of the archive.  but this should be done carefully because stuffit will
crash sometimes when it's working on a corrupt archive.
     The other possiblilty is that you downloaded the binhex file in three or
four parts.  In this case you would have to catenate the files together
before attempting to de-binhex them.
     Another thing you can check is to make sure there aren't any colons in
the file's header.  Sometimes people put descriptions there and they will
interfear with binhex if the message contains a colon.
    best of luck,  John......

--
John Montbriand - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!43!John.Montbriand