[comp.lang.modula2] Books on Oberon

petert@logitek.co.uk (Peter Telford) (05/02/91)

Hello,

I'm sure this is a very frequently asked question but I can't see a FAQ
posting so I'm asking.

Can anyone recommend any good books covering an Introduction to Oberon
right up to advanced features.  I have learnt Modula-II so I could
probably do without but I like to do these things properly.

Thanks in advance.

| Peter Telford.        |The world is your oyster;                    |
|                       |                                             |
| Logitek Group Support.|But look at the size knife you have to take  |
| Ltss Ltd.             |to an oyster to get at the pearl.            |
| England.              |                                             |
|===================< Normal Disclaimers >============================|

CEC1JEL@BRUFSC.BITNET (Jose Eduardo De Lucca) (05/03/91)

Peter,

References to Oberon:

1. WIRTH, Niklaus, 'The Programming Language Oberon', Software-Practice
      and Experience, vol 18, pp. 671-690 (jul 1988)

2. WIRTH, Niklaus, 'Type Extensions', ACM Trans. on Prog. Languages and
      Systems, 10, pp. 204-214 (1988)

3. WIRTH, Niklaus, 'From Modula to Oberon', Software-Practice and Experience,
      vol 18, pp. 661-670, (jul 1988)

4. POUNTAIN, Dick, 'OBERON' IN Byte Magazine, march 1991, pp.135-142.

5. GUTNECHT, J. 'The Oberon Guide' Dept fur Informatik, ETH, Zurich, (jun 1989)

These articles (1,2,3 and 4) present Oberon and features in a introdutory
approach. I don't know item 5.

De Lucca
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
Florianopolis, Sta. Catarina, Brazil
bitnet: CEC1JEL@BRUFSC.BITNET

AL281785@VMTECSLP.BITNET (RoDoGu) (05/03/91)

There are too reports in FTP.

Try FTPing to 134.60.66.21 in the directory soft/oberon/ethz/doc. There are
four files ModToOberon.ps.Z, OberonGuide.ps.Z, OberonEBNF.ps.Z and OberonReport
.ps.Z.

INSTITUTO TECNOLOGICO Y DE ESTUDIOS SUPERIORES DE MONTERREY, CAMPUS SAN LUIS
             MEXICO                     \////
ROBERTO DOMINGUEZ GUTIERREZ, AL-ISC      O O         LONG LIVE MODULA-2!!!!
BITNET  AL281785@VMTECSLP                 _

jnelson@plains.NoDak.edu (Jim Nelson) (05/05/91)

In article <INFO-M2%91050311221183@UCF1VM.BITNET> Modula2 List <INFO-M2%UCF1VM.BITNET@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu> writes:
>There are too reports in FTP.
>
>Try FTPing to 134.60.66.21 in the directory soft/oberon/ethz/doc. There are
>four files ModToOberon.ps.Z, OberonGuide.ps.Z, OberonEBNF.ps.Z and OberonReport
>.ps.Z.

Does someone have a plain text version of OberonGuide and the others?  I
don't have a postscript printer to print them with, and I don't really
relish the thought of going through the files with an editor and
reformatting them by hand.  One of them is 500k.
--
.sig?  What .sig?  Ohhhh, *THIS* .sig.

	Jim, in the Land of the Lost.
disclaimer:  These are just opinions.  If you want 'em, you can have 'em.

mfranz@bernina.ethz.ch (Michael Franz) (05/06/91)

More importantly:

REISER, MARTIN
   The Oberon System
   User Guide And Programmer's Manual
   Addison Wesley, 1991
   ISBN 0-201-54422-9

REISER, MARTIN and WIRTH, NIKLAUS
   The Oberon Language
   will be published this fall

WIRTH, NIKLAUS and GUTKNECHT, JUERG
   Project Oberon (working title)
   will be published early next year and include complete source
   listings of the Oberon system.

-- Michael

DUG@CZHETH5A.BITNET (05/08/91)

Comment: Mail not returnable through this path, use the list address

Author: AEOLUS::NOTES9B "Wehrli Christoph"
Topic 2095.0
Time:  8-MAY-1991 09:29 ZRH

    >Try FTPing to 134.60.66.21 in the directory soft/oberon/ethz/doc.
    there are four files Mod2Oberon.ps.Z,...

    I expected the files to be PostScript, but they look binary, what's
    wrong?

    Chris Wehrli

AL281785@VMTECSLP.BITNET (RoDoGu) (05/08/91)

>   I expected the files to be PostScript, but they look binary, what's
>   wrong?
>
>   Chris Wehrli

      The files are compressed, If you are working in a UNIX system you need
   the UNCOMPRESS utility. If your working in a VM (IBM) you need another utili
   ty, if you don't have it notify me to my BITNET address.

Bye

brandis%INF.ETHZ.CH@UCF1VM.CC.UCF.EDU (Marc Brandis) (05/10/91)

In article <INFO-M2%91050808321275@UCF1VM.BITNET> you write:

>    >Try FTPing to 134.60.66.21 in the directory soft/oberon/ethz/doc.
>    there are four files Mod2Oberon.ps.Z,...
>
>    I expected the files to be PostScript, but they look binary, what's
>    wrong?

The files are compressed PostScript files. Uncompress the files on your
Unix machine using the command

	uncompress filename

and then send the files to your PostScript printer.

Marc-Michael Brandis
Computer Systems Laboratory, ETH-Zentrum (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology)
CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland
email: brandis@inf.ethz.ch