[comp.lang.modula2] Oberon compiler and references

MORALES@UNAMVM1.BITNET (Rafael Morales Gamboa) (05/16/91)

I am a teacher of the Faculty of Science at the National Autonomous
University of Mexico.  This semester, I am going to teach an introductory
course in Computer Science, and I am planning to use Oberon.

Would somebody give me information about Oberon compilers for the
personal computers (PC compatible) and references.  I am specially
interested in free software, which I can obtain via FTP.

Thank you.

Rafael Morales Gamboa
BITNET: morales@unamvm1

ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (05/16/91)

In article <INFO-M2%91051513421792@UCF1VM.BITNET> Modula2 List <INFO-M2%UCF1VM.BITNET@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu> writes:
>I am a teacher of the Faculty of Science at the National Autonomous
>University of Mexico.  This semester, I am going to teach an introductory
>course in Computer Science, and I am planning to use Oberon.

Does anyone else think there's a problem here?

"I'm a prof.  I wanna use new-and-whizzy language X, in an *intro*
class.  This semester.  Don't have a complier or anything.  But not
to worry, I'll find a free version through the net.  I'm sure it'll
be of the highest quality.  Enjoy the class..."

Having watched an intro to assembly class go through the agony of
dealing with a buggy, immature, FTP-able, PD macro assembler (not even
a compiler), I've got some real problems with this approach.

Give your class a break.  It's one thing to play with new langauges
and experimental compilers in upper level classes, but the kids in
the intro stuff should be writing programmes, not fighting bugs and
quirks in an immature compiler (and, in the case of Oberon, a pretty
new language period).  Pick a langauge that has a solid compiler that
has been around for more than a few months.

DISCLAIMER:  I speak only for me, as a student whose been there...

--

	ken seefried iii	"I'll have what the gentleman
	ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu	 on the floor is having..."

larry@TITAN.TSD.ARLUT.UTEXAS.EDU (Larry Maturo) (05/16/91)

There is a free PC oberon available at 128.54.16.1 in pub as oberonm.exe,
a self unzipping archive.  You need access to a Postscript printer to
print out the docs (*.ps files).  It does not support floating point at
this time.  The only other oberon systems I know of are for the Sun SPARC
or DecStation.

Hope this helps.

+-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
|                                   |                                        |
| Larry Maturo                      | Opinions expressed herein must be      |
| Applied Research Laboratories     | yours, neither I nor my employer have  |
| University of Texas at Austin     | any.                                   |
| P.O. Box 8029                     +----------------------------------------+
| Austin, Texas 78713-8029          |                                        |
|                                   | When you're as great as I am it's hard |
| larry @titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu | to be modest, but I succeed where      |
|                                   | others fail.                           |
+-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

peter@CS.UMU.SE (05/16/91)

In article <INFO-M2%91051513421792@UCF1VM.BITNET> you write:
>I am a teacher of the Faculty of Science at the National Autonomous
>University of Mexico.  This semester, I am going to teach an introductory
>course in Computer Science, and I am planning to use Oberon.
>
>Would somebody give me information about Oberon compilers for the
>personal computers (PC compatible) and references.  I am specially
>interested in free software, which I can obtain via FTP.

Do yourself a favor and don't use Oberon or any other ftp'able,
buggy, beta-class product, Instead use a Solid product that has been
around for awhile. My suggestion would be JPI Modula 2.

But, if you insist, Oberon is available from garbo.uwasa.fi

peter@cs.umu.se

marti@mint.inf.ethz.ch (Robert Marti) (05/16/91)

In article <9105160454.AA24029@canne.cs.umu.se> Modula2 List
<INFO-M2%UCF1VM.BITNET@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu> writes:
>Do yourself a favor and don't use Oberon or any other ftp'able,
>buggy, beta-class product.

This is the second condescending followup of this style.
What the heck do you know about the reliability of the ETH
implementation of MacOberon in particular -- or of any other
ftp'able software, for that matter?!  (For example, I have been
using the ftp'able MIT C-Scheme implementation for my introduction
to knowledge based systems, and with one exception we have never
had any problems with it.)

So, please, do _us_ a favor and don't broadcast your condescending
advice to the net at large.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the ETH Oberon implementations.

Robert Marti                      |  Phone:    +41 1 254 72 60
Institut fur Informationssysteme  |  FAX:      +41 1 262 39 73
ETH-Zentrum                       |  E-Mail:   marti@inf.ethz.ch
CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland       |

pschwart@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Paul Schwartz) (05/17/91)

In article <9105160454.AA24029@canne.cs.umu.se>, peter@CS.UMU.SE writes...

>In article <INFO-M2%91051513421792@UCF1VM.BITNET> you write:
>>Would somebody give me information about Oberon compilers for the
>>personal computers (PC compatible) and references.  I am specially
>>interested in free software, which I can obtain via FTP.
>
>Do yourself a favor and don't use Oberon or any other ftp'able,
>buggy, beta-class product, Instead use a Solid product that has been
>around for awhile. My suggestion would be JPI Modula 2.

    That's a pretty piss poor attitude.  Some PD/Shareware software is top
notch, better than many commercial packages.  Don't sell it short just
because its free and lacks a major marketing department.

    						- Z -

|  PauL M SchwartZ              |   There are many causes worth dying for,    |
|  PSCHWART@macc.wisc.edu       |         but none worth killing for.         |
|  PSCHWART@wiscmacc.BitNet     |                             - Gandhi        |

X903@DMAFHT1.BITNET (Marc Wachowitz) (05/17/91)

On Thu, 16 May 91 12:54:48 GMT Robert Marti said:

>In article <9105160454.AA24029@canne.cs.umu.se> Modula2 List
><INFO-M2%UCF1VM.BITNET@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu> writes:
>>Do yourself a favor and don't use Oberon or any other ftp'able,
>>buggy, beta-class product.
>
>This is the second condescending followup of this style.
>What the heck do you know about the reliability of the ETH
>implementation of MacOberon in particular -- or of any other
>ftp'able software, for that matter?!  (For example, I have been
>using the ftp'able MIT C-Scheme implementation for my introduction
>to knowledge based systems, and with one exception we have never
>had any problems with it.)

If my memory doesn't fool me, the person who asked about the pd
Oberon wanted it to run on MS-DOS, and that's what the above
statement probably, and my recent posting definitely, refers to.
The particular compiler for MS-DOS (called Oberon-M) doesn't come
from ETH Zurich (their systems really seem to be fine products).
Oberon-M really is nearly useless, and a warning to those wanting
to use it for serious work (I do consider education serious) is
completely appropriate.
You are of course right that MIT-Scheme and many other FTPable
software are great, and indeed very stable.
>So, please, do _us_ a favor and don't broadcast your condescending
>advice to the net at large.
What's wrong with answering to a question posted to the most-
appropriate discussion list? (Yes, this is about Modula-2; but since
Oberon is M2's successor and there is - as far as I know - yet no
INFO-OBERON around, I still consider it appropriate).

Marc Wachowitz
X903@DMAFHT1.BITNET

Jon.Guthrie@p25.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Jon Guthrie) (05/20/91)

 On a message of 17-May-91, Paul Schwartz (1:105/42.0) Said:

 > Some PD/Shareware software is top
 > notch, better than many commercial packages.  Don't sell it short just
 > because its free and lacks a major marketing department.

Let me emphasize the first word:  SOME of that software is top notch.
Some is marginal.  Some is totally unacceptable.  Like most software,
shareware and "freeware" run the whole gamut from excellent to
execrable.

I mostly agree with the sentiments of the person to whom you were
replying.  You don't want to start beginners out on questionable
software.  This situation which is exacerbated by the fact that there
are very few books out on Oberon - none of which are commonly
available.

If I were teaching the course, I'd wait a couple of years for Oberon
to mature a bit before I started subjecting beginning programmers to
it.

(BTW:  I think that all this Oberon traffic deserves it's own
newsgroup/echo/whatever.  I also wish Randy Bush would put his FidoNet
address in his messages/netmail so that those of us who aren't in the
Usenet elite can actually talk to him.)

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!106!506.25!Jon.Guthrie
Internet: Jon.Guthrie@p25.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org