[comp.lang.modula2] Modula2 and Unix, portability, libraries , etc

nicolas@csi.forth.gr (Nicolas Chrissakis) (05/20/91)

Dear Modula2 users,

I have been using modula2 under DOS for the last 5 years. Now I
I have some projects that need to be written under Unix.
I would like to know if there are standard unix libraries
for unix? If I write code under Sun Modula2 would I be able to
compile under other compilers running on different hardware ?
The unix modula2 compilers use "c" include files or the have
their own definition files?
I really like the language and I would like to use it under
unix. If you have any pointers on how to do that and maintain
compatibility under unix I would appreciate.

There is a library called YAML which runs on DECSta/Ultrix (Mocka,
GPM, Powell), Sun/SPARC/68K (Sun M2), and PC/DOS (Logitech 3.0).
Do you know any ftp site which has these libraries?

Is modula2 popular in the applications world?
Which is the best modula2 compiler for Sun systems?

Thank you for any help.

Regards
Nicolas Chrissakis, Crete, Greece

ro@thp.uni-koeln.de (Rainer Orth) (05/21/91)

In article <1780@ariadne.csi.forth.GR> nicolas@csi.forth.gr (Nicolas Chrissakis) writes:

> There is a library called YAML which runs on DECSta/Ultrix (Mocka,
> GPM, Powell), Sun/SPARC/68K (Sun M2), and PC/DOS (Logitech 3.0).
> Do you know any ftp site which has these libraries?

A copy of YAML version 1.0 [October 1988] (straight from the distribution
tape) is available via anonymous ftp from

	ftp.Uni-Koeln.DE [134.95.80.1]

	~ftp/pub/programming/modula-2/yaml.tar.Z

Hope this helps.

	Rainer
Rainer Orth, Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Cologne

Internet: ro@thp.Uni-Koeln.DE