[comp.lang.pascal] ALICE interactive programming environment for ST

alice@looking.UUCP (12/12/86)

Warning: The following is a commercial product announcement by a
company on the net.  In keeping with net concensus, it will be done
only once.  If you have moral objections, stop reading now!

Looking Glass Software has released ALICE:The Personal Pascal for the Atari
ST.  ALICE is a system that makes Pascal programming interactive, error-free,
easier to do and easier to learn.  It has been available on the IBM-PC for
some time.  The Atari ST version contains all the PC version does plus a nice
GEM interface and more.

ALICE features a syntax-directed complete programming environment that is
particularly good for learning and prototyping.  It consists of an integrated
template-driven syntax directed editor with a Pascal interpreter and debugging
facilities.  A syntax directed editor is an editor that intimately knows the
syntax of a language.  You edit your programs as program trees instead of
dealing with them as text.  New structures are built by filling in the blanks
in templates.  Among other things, it's impossible to make a syntax error in
such a system.  The ALICE editor is fully integrated with the GEM environment.

ALICE is very good for learning (a textbook is available) but net readers
may be more interested in ALICE's special debug and GEM interface features.
The interpreter provides for interactive programming with all the debug
features that a compiler can't provide.  A powerful variable trace is also
included.

ALICE's GEM interface makes writing full GEM applications easy, even for
beginners.  Menus, graphics, multiple windows, alerts, the mouse and more
can all be used independently in short programs.  No large skeleton program
is required.  With ALICE, you can open a window like a file and 'writeln' to
it.  ALICE worries about scrolling, clipping, redrawing and all window events
that you don't ask to be told about.  ALICE is, among other things, a great
system for interactively playing with GEM.

ALICE's Pascal language includes all applicable extensions of Turbo Pascal.
Many Turbo Pascal programs can be moved over to the ST easily.  ALICE can
also be used in conjunction with Pascal compilers like OSS Pascal.

I won't go into major details here to avoid offending the net.  You can
mail for more full information, or if requested, I will post it to the net.
Here is a short list of some of the notable features of the system:

o Multi-level UNDO/REDO			o Symbol name completion
o Menu of possible input at any point	o Edit multiple programs
o Colour to display semantic info	o code "hiding"
o Entry-time semantic error detection	o All action from menus if desired
o Use of uninitialized variables, bad array indices etc. detected
o Motion picture execution mode		o Macros for customization
o Programmable editor (In Pascal!)	o Over 700 help screens
o Help on all commands, errors, built-in routines and features of Pascal
o Free sample multi-window paint program source included

Order by sending $79.95 plus $5 for shipping and handling to:
	Looking Glass Software Limited
	124 King St. N.
	Waterloo, Ontario
	N2J 2X8

Or phone 519/884-7473 collect.  Have Visa or MasterCard ready.  If you
trust your credit card number to the net, you can email your order.
Price in $US.  Canadians remit $109.95 CDN + $3 for shipping.  Ontario
residents add 7% P.S.T.   Textbook is $19.95 extra, $27.50 in Canada.
Alice runs on any ST except a 520ST without TOS-in-ROM.

Non-Standard Non-disclaimer:
I am affiliated in every way with Looking Glass Software, and this posting
does reflect the official views of the company!
GEM is a trademark of Digital Research
Atari ST is a trademark of Atari Corp.
IBM-PC is a trademark of International Business Machines.
Turbo Pascal is a trademark of Borland International.
ALICE:The Personal Pascal is a trademark of Graham Software Corp used
with permission.

rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (12/14/86)

[Line-Eater? What Line-Eater? *Chomp* 8-) ]

Position: Confused Undergraduate

Sounds nice, but how fast is the compiler?

I use Lightspeed Pascal on the Macintosh, and while it doesn't offer all the
whizzy features of Alice, it is a damn nice compiler, the speed of which I
have not seen anywhere else on any machine...

And no, I am not affiliated with THINK Technologies in any way shape or form,
save as a happy user.

		--Rich

Richard M. Siegel

Arpanet: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu (the only way to get to me!)
Uucp: {your fave gateway}!seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!rs4u

Disclaimer --> Disclaimers are bogus.

brad@looking.UUCP (12/14/86)

In article <MS.V3.18.rs4u.80021103.harrisburg.ibm032.726.8@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

>Sounds nice, but how fast is the compiler?

Sorry about the confusion.  Alice does not contain a compiler.  It is
a programming environment with an interpreter.  While the interpreter
is naturally slower at running programs, the idea is that you develop
and test with the interpreter, then pick 'compile' off the menu and it
calls your Pascal compiler on your program.  In your configuration file
you specify where your compiler is and how to call it.

You don't need a compiler for many programs.  Programs that are keyboard
bound (or event bound, as many GEM programs are) usually work just fine.

--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

bob@hcrvax.UUCP (Bob Kyryliuk) (12/19/86)

In article <715@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In article <MS.V3.18.rs4u.80021103.harrisburg.ibm032.726.8@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:
>>
>>Sounds nice, but how fast is the compiler?
>
>Sorry about the confusion.  Alice does not contain a compiler.  It is
>a programming environment with an interpreter.  While the interpreter
>is naturally slower at running programs, the idea is that you develop
>and test with the interpreter, then pick 'compile' off the menu and it
>calls your Pascal compiler on your program.

Since the ISO/ANSI Pascal Standards (as well as Jensen & Wirth) leave
a number of fundamental items to be incorporated as extensions, and
since many current compilers and interpreters implement these
extensions in different ways I have a question on the practicality
of the above suggestion.

Does the use of the ALICE environment require the programmer to
"port" his programs (from ALICE to the compiler he is really going
to use to run his application) every time he wants to test his
application on his compiler, and then "re-port" his program back
(from his compiler's syntax to ALICE) every time he wants to do
"development"?

> ALICE's Pascal language includes all applicable extensions of Turbo Pascal.
> Many Turbo Pascal programs can be moved over to the ST easily.  ALICE can
> also be used in conjunction with Pascal compilers like OSS Pascal.

If you had a Turbo Pascal Compiler and ALICE on the same machine,
incompatible interpreters and compilers would not be a problem since
ALICE is claimed to have the Turbo Pascal extensions (plus perhaps
others).  However, the most common pascal compiler for the ST
appears to be OSS Pascal (correct me if I'm wrong), which has a
different set of extensions from Turbo Pascal. I would assume that
Brad's mention of using ALICE "in conjunction" with OSS Pascal to
mean that there is compatibility only as far as perhaps standard
Pascal, which has numerous deficiencies as mentioned earlier.

This would seem to leave you in a bind of some sort until ALICE grew
OSS Pascal extensions, or Turbo Pascal became available on the ST.

>You don't need a compiler for many programs.

Although in an educational environment, an interpreter may be good
enough for student programming, in the commercial world of hundred
thousand line applications, the bottom line is execution performance
and a compiler is often essential.

Bob Kyryliuk
Software Products Manager
HCR Corporation