[comp.lang.pascal] How to exit turbo pascal without reloading COMMAND.COM ?

ho@calma.UUCP (02/20/87)

When I exit from Turbo Pascal, it always try to read Drive A to reload
the COMMAND.COM.  The same thing happens even if I make a .COM file out
of my program.  I found it is annoying.

Is there a way to get around with it?  Thanx.

archer@sgi.UUCP (02/20/87)

In article <610@calma.UUCP>, ho@calma.UUCP (Sidney N. Ho) writes:

> When I exit from Turbo Pascal, it always try to read Drive A to reload
> the COMMAND.COM.  The same thing happens even if I make a .COM file out
> of my program.  I found it is annoying.
>
> Is there a way to get around with it?  Thanx.

The only thing you can do is set the minimum and maximum
free dynamic memory in the compiler options menu.  I think
that there is a way to make the desired values permanent,
but I've mercifully forgotten the locations.

good luck,
archer sully

ucbvax!sgi!archer

li@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (02/20/87)

In article <610@calma.UUCP>, ho@calma.UUCP (Sidney N. Ho) writes:

> When I exit from Turbo Pascal, it always try to read Drive A to reload
> the COMMAND.COM.  The same thing happens even if I make a .COM file out
> of my program.  I found it is annoying.
>
> Is there a way to get around with it?  Thanx.

Have you tried SET COMSPEC=C:/COMMAND.COM?  Or maybe the SHELL option in the
config.sys (I don't know if either of these exist before Ver 3.0)

li@tybalt.caltech.edu (James Li)           __   __
(also li@citromeo.caltech.bitnet)            | |
"Official KANK symbol"         ------>       | |

billw@felix.UUCP (02/21/87)

In article <610@calma.UUCP> ho@calma.UUCP (Sidney N. Ho) writes:
>When I exit from Turbo Pascal, it always try to read Drive A to reload
>the COMMAND.COM.  The same thing happens even if I make a .COM file out
>of my program.  I found it is annoying.
>
>Is there a way to get around with it?  Thanx.

If you mean COMMAND.COM always loads when you exit the Turbo Pascal
editor/compiler (TURBO.COM), I don't think there is a way to fix this.
You can have COMMAND.COM be reloaded from RAMDISK instead of diskette,
but that's another topic.

If you mean COMMAND.COM always loads when you exit a program compiled
with Turbo (say FOO.COM), that can be fixed by changing the amount of
memory it allocates when it starts up.  On the (O)ptions screen, after
you pick (C)om-file, set the M(A)xiumum free memory to something
smaller then the default.  This is the amount of memory that the
program will attempt to allocate for the stack and heap.  A value of
1000 (64kb) will work for almost any programs, 400 (16kb) should be
sufficient for most, 100 (4kb) should work for quite a few smaller
ones.
Regards, Bill Weinberger
FileNet Corporation       ...! {decvax, ihnp4, ucbvax} !trwrb!felix!billw
	"We have to shout above the din of our Rice Krispies."

john@viper.UUCP (02/22/87)

In article <610@calma.UUCP> ho@calma.UUCP (Sidney N. Ho) writes:

 >When I exit from Turbo Pascal, it always try to read Drive A to reload
 >the COMMAND.COM.  The same thing happens even if I make a .COM file out
 >of my program.  I found it is annoying.
 >
 >Is there a way to get around with it?  Thanx.

You will probably still need to reload one way or the other, but if you
have a hard disk or use a ramdisk, you can tell the system to reload
COMMAND.COM from either.

	1) make sure you allways will have a copy of COMMAND.COM
	   on the drive you are going to specify.
	2) from the command line (or, preferably in AUTOEXEC.BAT)
	   assuming your ramdisk is drive C: execute the line:

		set COMSPEC=C:\somedir\another\COMMAND.COM

	   The drive and path may point just about anywhere, but
	   be sure you're allways going to have it there or the
	   system may bomb on you when it tries to reload on exit.

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john