[comp.lang.pascal] Adapting mainframe programs to the micro....help!!

jackson@utzoo.UUCP (Don Jackson) (03/07/87)

I have a series of programs implemented on a PDP-10 and CDC/CYBER which I need
to  get  to  run  on an IBM-AT. At present I do not have a Pascal compiler and
want to get one. I would like to obtain one with the greater  syntax  compata-
bility with the mainframe compiler but don't know which of the many micro ver-
sions to choose from. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
--
Name:   Don Jackson
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto

archer@elysium.SGI.COM (03/11/87)

In article <7748@utzoo.UUCP>, jackson@utzoo.UUCP (Don Jackson) writes:

> I have a series of programs implemented on a PDP-10 and CDC/CYBER which I need
> to  get  to  run  on an IBM-AT. At present I do not have a Pascal compiler and
> want to get one. I would like to obtain one with the greater  syntax  compata-
> bility with the mainframe compiler but don't know which of the many micro ver-
> sions to choose from. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> --
> Name:   Don Jackson
> Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto
>         Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1
> UUCP:   {allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!jackson

I would recommend Professional Pascal from MetaWare of Santa Cruz,
California.  The compiler is extremely flexible, supports the ansi
standard as a subset, and produces extremely good code.  Main drawback
is price (~$600).

Syntactically there should be a fairly high amount of compatibility
between Pascal compilers in general.  Where they differ is in the
implementation of extensions.  What I would recommend doing is
writing an interface module to make the extensions of the compiler
you end up using look more like those on your mainframes.

good luck,

Archer Sully

ucbvax!sgi!archer