[comp.lang.pascal] Pascal on the Prime?

gwl@rruxa.UUCP (04/24/87)

       Is anyone running Pascal on a Prime computer under Prime's
native OS (PrimeOS???)?  If so, could you tell me flavor of Pascal
it is and where I can obtain some info on it, eg. distributor
contacts, manuals, books, etc...

Thanks a Bunch!!!

George W. Leach

Bell Communications Research      New Jersey Institute of Technology
444 Hoes Lane       4A-1129       Computer  &  Information Sciences Dept.
Piscataway,  New Jersey   08854   Newark, New Jersey   07102
(201) 699-8639

UUCP:  ..!bellcore!{indra | yogi | njitcis}!reggie
ARPA:  reggie%njit-eies.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere
Dr. Seuss "One fish two fish red fish blue fish"

schwartz@swatsun (Scott Schwartz) (04/25/87)

In article <261@rruxa.UUCP>, gwl@rruxa.UUCP writes:
>        Is anyone running Pascal on a Prime computer under Prime's
> native OS (PrimeOS???)?  If so, could you tell me flavor of Pascal
> it is and where I can obtain some info on it, eg. distributor
> contacts, manuals, books, etc...

Here at Swarthmore we have several Pr1mes (750,9950).  We have two
pascal compilers:  the standard Pr1me pascal compiler, and one from the
University of Sheffield (in england).  The Sheffield compiler is the
only one that gets any real use.  Here are the issues....

Language implementation:  Sheffield wins here.  The compiler is very
nice.  It runs pretty fast, and generates ok code (some peephole
optimizations).  It supports ISO level 0 pascal, with several
enhancements:  UCSD style strings, random access files, and PR1ME
specific things like PL/I exception handlers, etc.  Other Pr1me
languages are callable from sheffield, but not necessarily vice-versa
(this is too bad.)  Sheffield pascal comes with compiler sources.

OS issues: The one advantage that using the native pascal compiler
gives you is that it is always up to date with changes to the OS.
After each upgrade Sheffield ususally breaks in some way, and you have
to get patches from them.  Also, I don't think Sheffield pascal uses
the new dynamic library loading mechanism, so runfiles are bigger than
need be.  (This might have been fixed, though.  I haven't looked into
it for a long time; the CS department bought a network of Suns last
summer :-)

You can get docs on the compilers by writing to their makers. I presume
you can get Pr1me's address.  I don't have the address for Sheffield
handy, but if you need it, I can try to get it for you.

--
# Scott Schwartz  @  Swarthmore College Computer Science Program
# UUCP: ...{{seismo,ihnp4}!bpa, cbmvax!vu-vlsi, sun!liberty}!swatsun!schwartz