[comp.lang.pascal] UCSD

nu115444@ndsuvm1.bitnet.UUCP (04/27/87)

I have a question about Apple-Pascal for anyone who can answer.  Is there a
way to produce native code from the compiler??  It now compiles programs
into "P-Code", but it runs terribly slow for what I need it for.  Perhaps there
is a way to compile it into assembly language and then use the procedure(s)/
function(s) as "external" procedures?

              Thanks for the help...

schwartz@swatsun (Scott Schwartz) (04/29/87)

In article <140NU115444@NDSUVM1>, NU115444@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Paul Ryba) writes:
> I have a question about Apple-Pascal for anyone who can answer.  Is there a
> way to produce native code from the compiler??

As I recall, Apple-Pascal is rev 2 of the P-system.  As of rev 4.x (this was
3 years ago) there was a native code generator available for some versions
of the P-system (I saw this on a (68000) Sage 4 (now Stride 440)).
The NGC translated P-code to machine code on a per procedure block basis
(I think.) It might be that there is a newer version of Apple-Pascal
that supports this.

> Perhaps there
> is a way to compile it into assembly language and then use the procedure(s)/
> function(s) as "external" procedures?

This sounds doable.  But now you need to get a compiler that produces
code that the P-system assembler will take. You'd probably want it to
accept the same language as standard P-system Pascal.  A NCG is probably
easier to get.

--
# Scott Schwartz  @  Swarthmore College Computer Science Program
# UUCP: ...{{seismo,ihnp4}!bpa, cbmvax!vu-vlsi, sun!liberty}!swatsun!schwartz

samlb@well.UUCP (Samuel B. Bassett) (04/29/87)

	As Chairman of the UCSD Pascal System Users' Society (USUS), I'm not
aware of a native-code generator for Apple Pascal.  One does exist for the
newer version (IV.2.2) of the p-System, as sold by Pecan Software Systems
(see their ads in BYTE & elsewhere).
	Apple was prodded on this subject while they were still supporting
Apple Pascal, but to no avail.
	For Version II.1 of the p-System (what Apple distributed), you need to
write the time-critical routines in 6502 Assembler, and link them in with the
linker.
	There is a p-System forum on CompuServe, called MUSUS, where you can
get more technical information . . .
--
Sam'l Bassett, Self-Employed Writer -- My words & ideas are my own!
34 Oakland Ave., San Anselmo  CA  94960;  (415) 454-7282

m596008@sdsu.UUCP (Robotix Wizz) (05/04/87)

I also ran up against this problem of generating assembly from Apple
Pascal(Apple //'s and ///'s).  After searching, and calling Apple, the
final result was that no such animal existed.  Instead, we just
wrote the important routines in assembly, and then used the lame linker.
This was over a year ago, so maybe such a product now exists, but I
doubt it.
					John Falkenthal
path:  ^^ look up there ^^