[comp.lang.pascal] UTS Pascal

rgr@m10ux.UUCP (mhx3781 ) (07/24/87)

Does anyone have any experience with Pascal compilers on
Amdahl or IBM Mainframes running UTS?  I've been using Amdahl's
compiler and it, uh, well, has some problems.  If anyone can
tell me about something, public-domain or commercial, I'd
appreciate it.

Also, how about Pascal compilers for VAX's running AT&T
System 5?  (Again, public-domain or commercial)  I'm probably
going to have to port this stuff to a VAX, and the only
Pascal that seems to come with it is an interpreter.

				Thanks
				Bob Robillard
				{ihnp4!}allegra!m10ux!rgr

timborn@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Tim Born) (07/28/87)

In article <297@m10ux.UUCP>, rgr@m10ux.UUCP (mhx3781 ) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience with Pascal compilers on
> Amdahl or IBM Mainframes running UTS?  I've been using Amdahl's
> compiler and it, uh, well, has some problems.
<deleted stuff>

> 				Thanks
> 				Bob Robillard
> 				{ihnp4!}allegra!m10ux!rgr

Here's another data point for you, Bob.  I too tried to use UTS Pascal
and found some problems.  I reported one of the problems in June of
1986 to Amdahl and the IH comp center.  It took Amdahl 13 months to
diagnose the problem and come back with a workaround.  The problem?
I had a comment in a compound expression.  Delete all comments from
your source, and the compiler ate it just fine.  If you want to use
Pascal, you are on the right track looking for something other than
Amdahl's version.

tim born
...ihnp4!hvlpb!tborn

bob@hcrvax.UUCP (Bob Kyryliuk) (08/01/87)

In article <3537@ihlpg.ATT.COM> timborn@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Tim Born) writes:
>In article <297@m10ux.UUCP>, rgr@m10ux.UUCP (mhx3781 ) writes:
>> Does anyone have any experience with Pascal compilers on
>> Amdahl or IBM Mainframes running UTS?  I've been using Amdahl's
>> compiler and it, uh, well, has some problems.
><deleted stuff>
>>
>> 				Thanks
>> 				Bob Robillard
>> 				{ihnp4!}allegra!m10ux!rgr
>

>Here's another data point for you, Bob.  I too tried to use UTS Pascal
>and found some problems.  I reported one of the problems in June of
>1986 to Amdahl and the IH comp center.  It took Amdahl 13 months to
>diagnose the problem and come back with a workaround.  The problem?
>I had a comment in a compound expression.  Delete all comments from
>your source, and the compiler ate it just fine.  If you want to use
>Pascal, you are on the right track looking for something other than
>Amdahl's version.
>
>tim born
>...ihnp4!hvlpb!tborn

Perhaps one solution to your dilemma would be the HCR/Pascal compiler
from HCR Corporation. It runs on a wide variety of hardware and UNIX
implementations. A version that runs on IBM Mainframes under the
IX/370 Operating System is sold directly by IBM under the logo "IX
Pascal". A complete port of HCR/Pascal to UTS (or any UNIX variant)
could be performed in less than a week. Both binary and source
licences for the product are available.

HCR/Pascal is a Pascal compiler that uses C as an intermediate
language.  It first performs a direct translation from J&W/ANSI/ISO
(level 0 or level 1) Pascal to K&R C, and then invokes the system's
C compiler to complete the compilation. Because of this, a new
code generator is not required with each port, and hence a port
can be performed in very short order.

Because of its inherent nature, it can even be used to translate
Pascal into C if you want to throw away your Pascal source.

As far as bugs go, HCR/Pascal passes ALL conformance tests in the
Pascal Validation Suite from the British Standards Institute as well
as passing HCR's own comprehensive tests for extensions.  HCR/Pascal
contains numerous powerful UNIX-oriented extensions as well as a
C-compatible implementation of the UCSD string package.

HCR/Pascal is currently available on these and other hardware lines:
	AT&T 3B2, 3B5, 3B15
	Concurrent 3200
	DEC VAX-11/7xx, DEC VAX 8xx0
	Gould PowerNode 6000 Series and 9000 Series
	IBM PC/AT and compatibles, IBM RT PC, IBM 43xx
	Intel 80286/310
	NCR Tower 32, NCR Tower XP
	SUN Workstation

HCR/Pascal is currently available on the these and other versions of UNIX:
	System Vr2, V
	System III, Version 7,
	BSD 4.x
	Xenix System V and Xenix 3.0
	AIX, UTX/32, and Xelos
	VMS/UNITY 4.0

Customer support for HCR/Pascal is provided by HCR Corporation's
Support Center.

For more detailed technical information and pricing, you can contact
our Sales Department by any of the following means:

MAIL:	Birgit Vogelzang
	Manager, Product Sales and Marketing
	Sales Department
	HCR Corporation
	130 Bloor Street West
	Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1N5
	Canada

PHONE:	(416) 922-1937

UUCP:	...{decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|watmath}!hcr!birgit