[comp.lang.pascal] GRAPH.BIN for hercules card

ZRWA001%DTUZDV1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Helmut Waelder) (09/10/87)

The turbo pascal graphic routines for the CGA are in GRAPH.BIN
Is there a similar file available for use with hercules monochrome card?

Helmut  (ZRWA001@DTUZDV1.BITNET)

Jeff_MacKie-Mason@um.cc.umich.EDU (09/11/87)

The Turbo Graphix Toolbox available from Borland has a driver
which allows you to use the graphics routines on a Hercules card.

kvancamp@ARDEC.arpa (Kenneth Van Camp -FSAC-) (09/14/87)

 >The Turbo Graphix Toolbox available from Borland has a driver
 >which allows you to use the graphics routines on a Hercules card.

And it works most unreliably!  If you have to use anything other than
the most primitive functions, make sure you don't try to do more than
one plot per run.

		  --Ken Van Camp <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>

Aron_Fingers_Nelson@cup.portal.com (09/24/87)

Ken Van Camp writes:

>And it works most unreliably!  If you have to use anything other than
>the most primitive functions, make sure you don't try to do more than
>one plot per run.

                  --Ken Van Camp <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>

Ken I think the problem that you are refering to about the
Graphics toolbox is **not** a bug! The Graphics toolbox uses TYPED
CONSTANTS and if you are running the GT in memory mode, it will only run
the first time correctly because typed constants are only initialized
once. (turbo manual : typed constants) Borland suggests compiling
to a .com file ****WITHOUT***** running the file. And your problems
should go away.
                aron_filgers_nelson@cup.portal.com

disclaimer: I use the GT w/o any problems.

kvancamp@ARDEC.arpa (Kenneth Van Camp -FSAC-) (09/28/87)

 >Ken I think the problem that you are refering to about the
 >Graphics toolbox is **not** a bug! The Graphics toolbox uses TYPED
 >CONSTANTS and if you are running the GT in memory mode, it will only run
 >the first time correctly because typed constants are only initialized
 >once. (turbo manual : typed constants) Borland suggests compiling
 >to a .com file ****WITHOUT***** running the file. And your problems
 >should go away.
 >                aron_filgers_nelson@cup.portal.com

No, not at all the case.  I compile directly to a file and run from it,
not from memory.  Since you say you run it successfully, do you go from
graphics mode, back to text mode, back to graphics mode again, through
a loop?  The only way I've been able to do this (reliably) is by sticking
to only the most primitive functions.  Any time I try to use the real
scaling, things start going haywire -- especially if I try to change the
scaling between plots.  Major symptom that I was never able to overcome
was that the new scale I set didn't take effect until the plot AFTER the
one I wanted it for.  And I tried MANY combinations, even went so far as
setting the scale, entering graphics mode, exiting graphics mode, then
entering again.  I got frustrated and finally just wrote my own
transformations from real to screen coords, and this works fine.  But I have
to stick to only the most primitive graphics fcns in the toolbox, that work
in screen coords only.

		  --Ken Van Camp <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>