[comp.lang.pascal] exit installation patches

milne@Q2.ICS.UCI.EDU (Alastair Milne) (10/17/87)

  There have been a few patches now posted to the list for "installing exit to
  dos", one of them at least very long.  What I don't quite follow is this:
  the Turbo environment has a Q)uit command (which politely checks for you
  whether your text and code have been saved), and Turbo Pascal has a HALT
  call.  What, therefore, is this exit?

  Now, if somebody could provide a way of enabling the command eX)ecute
  in the Turbo environment, as it's described in the manual, that would
  interest me quite a bit -- unless, of course, it's provided in Turbo 4.0,
  in which case the features and problems of 3.0 will no longer concern me.

  Thank you,

  Alastair Milne

Randomizer@cup.portal.com (10/19/87)

>Alastair Milne writes:
>
>  There have been a few patches now posted to the list for "installing exit to
>  dos", one of them at least very long.  What I don't quite follow is this:
>  the Turbo environment has a Q)uit command (which politely checks for you
>  whether your text and code have been saved), and Turbo Pascal has a HALT
>  call.  What, therefore, is this exit?
>
>  Now, if somebody could provide a way of enabling the command eX)ecute
>  in the Turbo environment, as it's described in the manual, that would
>  interest me quite a bit -- unless, of course, it's provided in Turbo 4.0,
>  in which case the features and problems of 3.0 will no longer concern me.
>

>  Thank you,
>
>  Alastair Milne

   Alastair,

    The patch that I put on the NET for eXit to dos creates a
    second command.com -- This allows you to 'exit' to dos -
    i.e. create a second DOS and perform functions that you would normally
    do in the primary DOS partition while the Turbo Compiler
    waits patiently in the Background suspended. When you are finished
    with your second command.com  simply type 'exit'.
    This will exit the second command.com and place you back exactly
    where you were in the first primary command.com.

    example:

        You're editing a file and remember that you need to
        have prokey installed -- well just ^kd
        type X for exit to dos-- 'pkload'
        'exit' and you're back in turbo.
        or use a different EDITOR for your files while in the
        second command.com -- when finished type 'exit'
        and your back in turbo.

   Most new programs have the 'exit to dos' function--
   sometimes called 'gateway to dos' or Run a program-- etc.
   You can execute command.com yourself by simple typing
   'command.om' at the DOS prompt --
   You'll see the DOS message --etc.. when finished type 'exit'
   and you're back in the first command.com.

   The halt function in turbo pascal immediately terminates the
   current turbo program when it is invoked. In comp.lang.pascal
   I also posted a routine that allows your turbo program
   to execute command.com or any program directly -- this is not
   provided in turbo pascal 3.0 or earlier. The exec command
   that is provided in turbo pascal 3.0 and earlier only executes
   TURBO PASCAL .COM files -- the routine that I posted
   executes ANY .COM or .EXE file. This will allow you to write
   a program that has the capabilities to clone a second command.com
   --- or call other programs etc... all without exiting
   your program. (very powerful  and useful )

  Hope this helped.
  write me if you have more questions.

   Randomizer@cup.portal.com

p.s.  the exec function of turbo 3.0 was only meant to execute
      Turbo .com files.