[comp.lang.pascal] Turbo Modula-2 exists?

psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (11/11/87)

In article <397NU113738@NDSUVM1>, NU113738@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
> Also, does anyone know if bordland has a modula-2 compiler ?  I asked
> on the other modula-2 conf and no one has responded.

Borland sold a CP/M-80 Modula-2 compiler.  This was their second
language (after Turbo Pascal 3.0, but before Basic, Prolog, or C).
Jeff Duntemann played with it; Steve Ciarcia sold it with some graphics
code for one of his projects.

I *never* heard of an MS-DOS version.  Most of the programmers who want
to "step up" from Pascal now program in C.  I understand the reasons
that's good, and the reasons that's bad.

I don't know if Borland still sells *any* CP/M-80 products.

-Paul S. R. Chisholm, {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,rutgers}!mtune!lznv!psc
AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc@lznv.att.com
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.

sipples@husc2.UUCP (sipples) (11/12/87)

>I don't know if Borland still sells *any* CP/M-80 products.

Turbo Pascal for Apple CP/M.

mhg@mitre-bedford.arpa (Mark H. Granoff) (11/13/87)

>>I don't know if Borland still sells *any* CP/M-80 products.
>
>Turbo Pascal for Apple CP/M.

Before I bought my MS-DOS machine, I had TURBO Pascal v2.0 on my
Osborne 1 (Blue Case) [Please, no snickers - it served me well] under
CP/M 2.2.  I don't know how many CP/M machines Borland supports any
more - there aren't that many around any more...

| Mark H. Granoff                       Member of the Technical Staff |
| USMAIL: The MITRE Corporation   | ARPAnet: mhg @ mitre-bedford.ARPA |
|         Burlington Rd.          | UUCP   : linus!mbunix!mhg         |
|         M/S B015                |-----------------------------------|
|         Bedford, MA 01730       | A T & T: (617) 271 - 7030         |
+--------------------------- Disclaimer ------------------------------+
|The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect |
|                      those of my employer.                          |

abp@j.cc.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (11/13/87)

In article <1184@lznv.ATT.COM> psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>In article <397NU113738@NDSUVM1>, NU113738@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
>> Also, does anyone know if bordland has a modula-2 compiler ?  I asked
>> on the other modula-2 conf and no one has responded.

I tried to respond, but my group permissions were messed up at the time.

>Borland sold a CP/M-80 Modula-2 compiler.  This was their second
>language (after Turbo Pascal 3.0, but before Basic, Prolog, or C).
Turbo Modula-2 for CP/M-80 and compatibles (Z-System, etc) is available from
two sources:

Echelon:   Generic Z80 version, ~$90.00
MicroMint: Hitachi 64180 version, lets you move code into different segments,
	   breaking the 64k barrier, although you data still has to fit in that
	   first 64K. ~90.00.  If you have an SB-180, there is very powerful
	   graphics package for the GT-180 hi-res color graphics controller.
	   (Now if I could just figure out how to hook one these up to my
	   Kaypro 2X {:-)).

>I *never* heard of an MS-DOS version.  Most of the programmers who want
>to "step up" from Pascal now program in C.  I understand the reasons
>that's good, and the reasons that's bad.

From what I am hearing TP4.0, it *almost is* M-2.  But of course, no CP/M
version.  It's too bad Borland, Echelon, & MicroMint couldn't have worked
some sort upgrade setup for current Turbo Pascal owners.  $90 is kinda
steep for us college students.

				Jeff Wieland
				abp@j.cc.purdue.edu

strac01@rocky.oswego.edu (Doug Eckersley) (11/15/87)

I have heard rumor that Turbo M2 for MS-DOS is coming soon.  Personally, I hope
so.  I have also heard that TP 4.0, now released, has language features
similar to M2.  This is all I can tell you...

bird@kksys.UUCP (0000-Mike Bird) (11/17/87)

In article <524@oswego.UUCP> strac01@rocky.oswego.edu.UUCP (Doug Eckersley) writes:
>I have heard rumor that Turbo M2 for MS-DOS is coming soon.  Personally, I hope
>so.  I have also heard that TP 4.0, now released, has language features
>similar to M2.  This is all I can tell you...

What I was told was that Borland believes the wave of the future is C.
Therefore, it was not going to invest any more time and energy into
Modula-2 when it has Pascal.  They brought the one they were working
on up to marketability, but are selling it through a 3rd party, for
CP/M-80 systems only, and will not be releasing a 68K or x86 version.
Of course, that's only what I've heard....
Mike Bird (No, I don't work for K&K systems)   Mail paths:  bird@kksys.UUCP -or-
Give me credit for coming up with my own opinions.  ...rutgers!meccts!kksys!bird
Void where prohibited by law.

jec@nesac2.UUCP (John Carter ATLN SADM) (11/18/87)

In article <524@oswego.UUCP>, strac01@rocky.oswego.edu (Doug Eckersley) writes:
> I have heard rumor that Turbo M2 for MS-DOS is coming soon.  Personally, I hope
> so.  I have also heard that TP 4.0, now released, has language features
> similar to M2.  This is all I can tell you...

Public Brand Software (1-800-IBM-DISK) has a modula-2 compiler for $5.
Don't know the quality, but it their disk "ML25.0" and requires
512K, with a hard disk recommended.  Wirth's book on modula-2, is also
recommended as supporting documentation .

No interests served here except the net - I've never purchased
anything from these people, just got their catalog in the mail this
week.

--
USnail: John Carter, AT&T, Atlanta RWC, 3001 Cobb Parkway, Atlanta GA 30339
Video:	...ihnp4!cuea2!ltuxa!ll1!nesac2!jec    Voice: 404+951-4642