[comp.lang.pascal] Turbo Pascal v4.0

SSIRCAR%ecs.umass.edu@RELAY.CS.NET (Santanu Sircar) (12/15/87)

I would like to know the difference between TP v4.0 and TP v3.0.  I have
TP v3.0 and would like to know if it is worth buying the new version of the
software.

-Santanu Sircar-
Bitnet id: SSIRCAR@UMAECS

jku@kolvi.hut.fi (Juha Kuusama) (12/17/87)

In article <10839@brl-adm.ARPA> SSIRCAR%ecs.umass.edu@RELAY.CS.NET (Santanu Sircar) writes:
>I would like to know the difference between TP v4.0 and TP v3.0.  I have
>TP v3.0 and would like to know if it is worth buying the new version of the
>software.
>
>-Santanu Sircar-
>Bitnet id: SSIRCAR@UMAECS

Well, I have written much code using v3.1 and recently switched to v4.0.
Currently I have a 7000+ line program written in v4.0, so I just might know
what I'm talking about. On the other hand, I've not really tested it, just
used:-).

What I think are the geaetest differences to v3:

*The 64kB limit for code is gone. TP breaks it using a non-standard but
clean construct Borland calls unit. Each unit makes it own code segment.
There is only one data segment, though.

*The environment. It is much like in turbo C, menu driven with pull-down
menus etc. I like it a lot but if you don't, there is a command-line
version as well.

*graphics. TP now supports EGA, VGA, Hercules, ATT etc. Lots of new graphic
primitives.

*new method in parameter passing. If you have lots of inline code and
external subroutines and still want to switch to v4, you loose.

*V4 can link in .OBJ files, so you can program in assembler, no need for
inline.

*better system routines. You can write interrupt servers, TRS routines
and such using turbo.

*speed. I have not benchmarked it, but the resulting code is faster enough
to notice. But the speed in compile is really something! It is by and far
the speediest compiler I've ever seen.

Well, should you switch? For me, the program was the best invest in software
I have ever made, and I had version 3. On the other hand, you may not value
things the same I do. If you are writing small, text-only programs that do
not need the special features, why bother? But if you are a serious user,
you definitely want to switch.
--
Juha Kuusama jku@kolvi.UUCP ( ...!mcvax!tut!kolvi!jku )