[comp.lang.pascal] WARNING ! Atari ST owners look away now....

sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk (03/04/88)

In article <12045@brl-adm.ARPA>, JEMCCABE%MTUS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:

> Oh come on now...   This group is NOT for computer bashing.
> If you are so insecure about your machine that you need to post
> such crap, go write it on a bathroom wall or tattoo it on your
> ass!!!  And while you're at it, try to come up with some valid
> arguments!

OK, you asked for it ...

1) The Atari ST's OS has been ported from an IBM PC and has several features
   removed (no fonts for example) and has had several (hundred ?) bugs
   introduced (40-folder bug, can't rename a folder, can't rename a disk...).

2) The ST has the same sound chip as a Sinclair Spectrum Plus 2 - a prime
   example of Atari ST cost-cutting.

3) 99% of all available software is either a very poor imitation of Macintosh
   software (First Word Plus, Publishing Partner, Fleet Street Editor etc.) or
   just a poorly-written arcade game...

4) Virtually all the compilers I've seen (and I've seen plenty of them !) for
   the ST have been quite disgraceful. They either have numerous bugs, have
   a user-hostile interface (such as a cryptic command line) or are extremely
   slow. This just shows that ST software companies are in the market to make
   a quick buck off people foolish enough to buy an ST in the first place.

5) The official ST hard disk is appalling. A friend of mine was so disgruntled
   that he ripped out the Atari mechanism and replaced it with a faster hard
   disk mechanism.

6) As mentioned in comp.sys.atari.st, Atari have been caught red-handed
   shipping STs with faulty disk drives that don't sense the write-protect
   notch on a disk correctly...typical of such a cost-cutting company
   (price without the power - or safe disk drives !)

> Calling the ST a "hunk of dross" is uncalled for.  The Amiga
> has nicer features than the ST, of course, but that doesn't
> mean that anything less than an Amiga 3000 is trash.  Using your own
> logic, I could say that your Amiga and the Mac II and the
> Vax and IBM mainframe machines are all "dross" because a better
> computer exists.  Grow up, and take a course or two in logic
> before you waste our time with childish bullshit.

I never said that the Amiga/VAX/Mac etc. were the BEST computers in the world -
just that they're BETTER than the ST !! My philosophy is that if the machine
is fast, has a good OS and a good (high level) language then it is GOOD. If
it doesn't have these attributes then it is BAD (aka DROSS).
   From your rabid defensive posting, I can only assume that you are an Atari
victim..oops, sorry...owner. This is why I've pointed out what a mistake Atari
owners make when they part hard-earned money for what, in effect, is a very
large door wedge.

Richard K. Lloyd,          ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,    * JANET : SQRKL@UK.AC.LIV.CSVAX                   *
Liverpool University,      * UUCP  : {backbone}!mcvax!ukc!mupsy!liv-cs!SQRKL *
Merseyside, England,       * ARPA  : SQRKL%csvax.liv.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk  *
Great (?) Britain.         ***************************************************

"I have VERY strong opinions which are nothing whatsoever to do with the
University of Liverpool, so blame ME if I bitch about useless IBM PC clones,
even more redundant IBM mainframes and the terrible Atari ST..."

ccs011@vega.ucdavis.edu (0058;0000012202;300;9999;94;ccs) (03/06/88)

>> such crap, go write it on a bathroom wall or tattoo it on your
>OK, you asked for it ...

	I didn't ask for it.  You are certainly entitled to your
	opinions, but WHY would you post this to comp.sys.atari.st?
	Are you trying to stir up some excitement, or what?
	If you guys want to rant and rave about stupid things like this,
	why not keep it to yourself?  Mail is good for that, you know.

						Bill Frazer

rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz) (03/07/88)

In article <463@csvax.liv.ac.uk> sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk writes:
>In article <12045@brl-adm.ARPA>, JEMCCABE%MTUS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>
>> Oh come on now...   This group is NOT for computer bashing.
	[]

>OK, you asked for it ...
>
>1) The Atari ST's OS has been ported from an IBM PC and has several features
>   removed (no fonts for example) and has had several (hundred ?) bugs
>   introduced (40-folder bug, can't rename a folder, can't rename a disk...).
>
>2) The ST has the same sound chip as a Sinclair Spectrum Plus 2 - a prime
>   example of Atari ST cost-cutting.
>
>3) 99% of all available software is either a very poor imitation of Macintosh
	[]

>4) Virtually all the compilers I've seen (and I've seen plenty of them !) for
>   the ST have been quite disgraceful.
	[]

>5) The official ST hard disk is appalling.
	[]

>6) As mentioned in comp.sys.atari.st, Atari have been caught red-handed
>   shipping STs with faulty disk drives that don't sense the write-protect
>   notch on a disk correctly...typical of such a cost-cutting company
>   (price without the power - or safe disk drives !)
>
>> Calling the ST a "hunk of dross" is uncalled for.  The Amiga
>> has nicer features than the ST, .......  []
>
>I never said that the Amiga/VAX/Mac etc. were the BEST computers in the world
>just that they're BETTER than the ST !! ......  []
>
>Richard K. Lloyd,

all these points are valid and true....

having been a developer on the ST for almost 2 years, and having battled
to understand this sucker, and having invested both huge amounts of time
and $$$ (3 1040s, 2 HD, 5-6 monitors.....) i have to agree that the ST is
not the "ideal" development machine. the only thing that keeps me going
is the fact that there ad 500k+ machines out there. otherwise i would surely
switch my efforts to a more "favorable" host/manufacturer.

i hate reading flames Re: how bad ST is vs how good Amiga is (and visa
versa). that's not REALLY the issue. what is important is to whip atari
into shape ("i'm mad as hell and am NOT going to take it anymore...").
atari SEEMS to be going after mac II/sun/etc... market but is woefully
ill equipped to do so. their org chart is so lean that if Cindy C. is
out, the entire dev support structure STOPS TO FUNCTION! i have had
tremendous problems with SH204 drives (atari sent me 2 in the past 2 weeks,
both bad, and i spent $150 in fed exp charges to get them, and now they
are COMPLETELY OUT OF STOCK!!! i was left to contact a local rep to see
if he could get one from a local store...that's not MY idea of support,
especially for developers).

as a businessman, i have to make a decision: keep on my current masochistic
path or switch to a friendlier environment. it's hard to throw away
time and $$$ investments (especially time...) but i'm really starting
to look at that as a serious option.

atari (or at least most of the people i deal with) means well. but their
current posture really is one of a mass market distributor. they will
never sell anything to fortune 1000 firms in the $5-10k range w/o support
and they desperately need to have support, starting with developers (you
know, the ones who make the software that sells the machines).

boycotts are not a solution, either. i, for one, am writing to L. Tramiel
with my feelings, as an interested participant in atari success/failure.
i suggest we all do this, not as a plea or threat, but rather as a
source of information and market sentiment. afterall, the people on this
net are more likely to recommend/purchase a $5-10k workstation than the
average consumer/hobbyist. if atari sells >20 copies of the ABAQ or whatever
to nonprofessionals, i will indeed be suprised.

if you want to further the cause, don't waste time flaming amiga. it is
a fine system for what it is, just as STs are fine for what they do.
Remember: atari came out with the ST as a low-cost yet powerful machine.
you generally get what you pay for. the issue is really how serious
are the Tramiels and major stockholders and can they be influenced to
react to a few hundred (thousand?) letters from netland. The Tramiels
are wealthy; they can always go out and start/buy another company and will
always have a market eager to buy their wares. it is our problem to make
sure we get what we want. that's how a "free" market works.

-bill

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (holly) (03/09/88)

[much deleted...]

I think Jim's point is that most of us want to see useful postings
in comp.sys.atari.st about how to make better use of the equipment
that we own rather than someone's opinion that we should have
purchased some other equipment regardless of the faults.  Every
system has bugs.  I have yet to see the perfect operating system
or perfect hardware.

Holly

--
UUCP:  rutgers!indycms.bitnet!ihls400
GEnie:  HS

mrapple@uop.edu (Nick Sayer) (03/10/88)

In article <1346@alliant.Alliant.COM>, rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz) writes:
> In article <463@csvax.liv.ac.uk> sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk writes:
> >In article <12045@brl-adm.ARPA>, JEMCCABE%MTUS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
> >
> >> Oh come on now...   This group is NOT for computer bashing.
> 	[]

I agree. Please keep this out of comp.lang.pascal. Thanks.

Nick Sayer | Packet Radio: N6QQQ @ WA6RDH | CMS: SYSOP@STOKTON%STOCKTON
uucp: ...!sdcsvax!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!mrapple | Fido: 161/31
Disclaimer:   You didn't REALLY believe that, did you?
cat flames > /dev/null