[comp.lang.pascal] TURBO 4.0

Aron_Fingers_Nelson@cup.portal.com (09/24/87)

Has anybody heard anything about Turbo pascal 4.0? I called Borland
and they promised shipment on OCTOBER 1st. Update cost is 44 dollars.
I heard there was an ad in PC-WEEK. Anybody saw it?

                 aron_fingers_nelson@cup.portal.com

Aron_Fingers_Nelson@cup.portal.com (10/08/87)

Did anybody engage in conversation w/ the authors of turbo 4.0 on
compuserve?
If so please post the information about the new compiler i.e.
new features, compatibility - speed etc..
( the conference was on sept 29th on compuserve )
Talked to Borland today -- apparently they are making a compiler
for Turbo C ---Hmmm maybe one for Pascal 4.0 is on the way too.
One person from the customer service said 4.0 is going to ship
next week ( 11th - 17th oct )
another one said the END of october... Oh well...
By the way TDEBUG + 2.0 will **not** work with turbo 4.0
Turbo power said that they would only consider a debugger if Borland
didn't make one.. It's Borlands move...

aron_nelson@cup.portal.com

cooper@sauron.UUCP (11/05/87)

Simple Question:

Can anyone tell me if Turbo 4.0 will support more than 4 colors in the
HighRes Color Graphics Mode.  It's not too exciting to do any graphics
programming with so few colors!  Any help is appreciated.

I hardly paid $40.00 for the original!!

                                                          Bob C.
--
	-Bob Cooper
	 cooper@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

platt@emory.uucp (Dan Platt) (11/06/87)

In article <954@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM> cooper@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (cooper) writes:
>Simple Question:
>
>Can anyone tell me if Turbo 4.0 will support more than 4 colors in the
>HighRes Color Graphics Mode.  It's not too exciting to do any graphics
>programming with so few colors!  Any help is appreciated.

Actually, the limitation isn't in the turbo pascal libraries.  There is
a limitation on the standard color card palette.  You can't even choose
all the possible combinations of colors; just a subset of 4 palettes.

If you want more colors, you'll need to upgrade to an EGA card or highter.
Also, the present level of TP doesn't support ega (unless you buy their
graphics toolbox package).

Therefore, I would say that  Turbo 4.0 will not support more than the
4 colors unless you get an ega card, and then only if they support the EGA.

Dan

archer@elysium.SGI.COM (Archer Sully) (11/06/87)

In article <954@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM>, cooper@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (cooper) writes:
> Simple Question:
>
> Can anyone tell me if Turbo 4.0 will support more than 4 colors in the
> HighRes Color Graphics Mode.  It's not too exciting to do any graphics
> programming with so few colors!  Any help is appreciated.

It probably will if you have an EGA.  Otherwise, nothing can give you
more than 4 colors in 'HiRes'.
Archer Sully
archer@sgi.com
{ucbvax,decwrl,ames}!sgi!archer

Randomizer@cup.portal.com (11/07/87)

I just got Turbo 4.0 Yesterday. It has a manual similar to turbo C -- i.e.
written with Sprint -- ( wrod processor). THe manual is bound (of course)
and is 654 pages long -- not including advertisement pages in the back.
I don't know if anyone has read the turbo technix magazine , but i got mine
a week ago and it explains turbo's new units quite clearly.
The Turbo compiler (turbo.exe) has a separate library for  system, crt,
dos, printer, graph, turbo3 and graph3 procedures. Of the many procedures
Turbo3 and graph3 help in easing the move from turbo 3 to turbo 4.
The turbo3 library allows calls such as read(kbd,ch)-- 'KBD' is no longer
supported in turbo 4.0. The Graph3 library helps programmers who programmed
in turbo 3's turtle graphics etc..
Turbo 4.0 seems to have a very good graphics library -- reminiscent of the
graphix toolbox. From what I see the graphix functions can autodetect what
card you are using and set the appropriate graphics mode. There is a demo
graphix program that comes w/ turbo 4 and I had no problems running it
on my hercules clone. The graphics were resonably fast and there is a set
of fonts that we can choose from.

The conpiler is very fast --- If anyone would like to send me Benchmarks to run
I will do it -- send via e-mail.
There are a couple of points that may trouble some users:
The stack configuration of turbo 4 has been changed so they warn
that most inline code may have to be re-written.
This really troubled me because I use FastWrite and it the upgrade.exe program
that helps you convert turbo 3 to turbo 4 gave me all sorts of warnings
about inline code.. Then i remembered that turbo 4 can write directly to the
screen  like Fastwrite -- still this may bother a lot of people who have
extensive inline code. Turbo 4 does not support the 'external' statement
anymore. It tells me to convert the external file to an .OBJ file to be linked
or to convert it to a typed constant. This bothers me since my Mouse driver
from mouse systems will no longer work.
Some highlights:
there is a INCR() and DEC() function similar to 'C's  ++ statement.
the incr() and Decr() can increment in steps not only 1 increment at a time.
The conditioanl compilations directives are nice.

The exec() function can pass not only command line data but
also Global data. The global data can be shared by the parent and child
something like the 'chain' command that was supported in 3.0.
The conversion program Upgrade.exe worked very quickly and thoroughly
it writes a journal file of the necessary conversions fromturbo 3 to 4
upon request via a command parameter. There is also a command parameter
that breaks up your large 3.0 source code into the new units -- removing
all OVERLAY keywords. (yeah!!)
Your original source is stored as .3TP files.
The new source code created by UPGRADE.exe has comments imebeded in the source
like:  {! 20. ^ textmode requires a parameter (mode: integer) in turbo Pascal
4.0 }
I still found the installation section of the book to be very vague...
There are 3 disks one labled 'compiler' which is fine,
another labeled Utilities/ examples the last labeled graphics/microcalc

I do not consider the instructions :
"place each turbo pascal distribution disk into drive A and tyrpe the followind
command:
copy a:*.* c:\tp "
to be of any help.
The microcalc/graphics -- disk contains a lot of DEMO source --- it also
contains misc. fonts etc... I don't know what I need or don't need.
As usuall I felt the book could use a little more examples -- even ~600
pages are not enough. The procedures and functions are written w/ more
than one on a page -- very similar to turbo C -- thus some definitions
go over to the next page-- very hard to read while trying to juggle the
big book.  A plus is the fact that Tom Swan -- author of Mastering Turbo Pascal
is writing a follow up to that good book. This new book should provide some
good examples.
Anyway -- this was too long :-)
Write back via e-mail if you have questions, benchmarks  etc...
Randomizer@cup.portal.com

These are my opinions.
Just a first look.

Randomizer@cup.portal.com (11/09/87)

This is a follow up to my earlier message about turbo 4.0

>extensive inline code. Turbo 4 does not support the 'external' statement
>anymore. It tells me to convert the external file to an .OBJ file to be linked
>or to convert it to a typed constant. This bothers me since my Mouse driver
>from mouse systems will no longer work.

This is not true -- there is a file called BinObj.exe on the distribution
disk that allows you to convert a binary file to .Obj
The mouse driver works fine, the implementation of a external procedure
is (example):
    mouseTp(Var m1,m2,m3,m4 : integer); external;
    {$L mouse.obj}

>The microcalc/graphics -- disk contains a lot of DEMO source --- it also
>contains misc. fonts etc... I don't know what I need or don't need.
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is a readme file on the distribution disk that explains what
each file does.

>there is a INCR() and DEC() function similar to 'C's  ++ statement.

 I ran a algorithm in the form:

        while i < 500000 do
        incr(i);

        verses    while i < 500000 do
                  i := i + 1;

 On my turbo xt-clone the incr() algorithm ran 3 seconds faster.

randomizer@cup.portal.com

Just my opinions -- a first look.

pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (11/10/87)

In article <7723@sgi.SGI.COM> archer@elysium.SGI.COM (Archer Sully) writes:
>In article <954@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM>, cooper@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (cooper) writes:
>> Simple Question:
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if Turbo 4.0 will support more than 4 colors in the
>> HighRes Color Graphics Mode.  It's not too exciting to do any graphics
>> programming with so few colors!  Any help is appreciated.
>>
>It probably will if you have an EGA.  Otherwise, nothing can give you
>more than 4 colors in 'HiRes'.
>Archer Sully
>archer@sgi.com
>{ucbvax,decwrl,ames}!sgi!archer

Well, under the geading InitGraph Procedure (p. 433) in the Turbo Pascal 4.0
manual, we find a list of graphics modes for the drivers supplied:
CGAC1	=0;	320x200 colour palette 1; red, yellow, green; 1 page
CGAC2	=1	320x200 colour palette 2; cyan, magenta, white; 1 page
CGAHi	=2	640x200 1 page
MCGAC1	=0	320x200 colour palette 2(sic); red, yellow, green; 1 page
     2	=1	320x200 colour palette 2;cyan, magenta, white; 1 page
    Med =2	640x200 1 page
    Hi  =3	640x480 2 colour 1 page
EGALo	=0	640x200 4 pages
   Hi	=1	640x350 16 colour 2 pages
EGA64Lo	=0	640x200 16 colour 1 page
     Hi =1	640x350 4 colour 1 page
EGAMonoHi=3     640x350, 64K on card, 1 page - 256K on card, 4 pages
HercMonoHi=0	720x348 2 pages
ATT400C1=0	320x200 colour palette 1; red, yellow, green; 1 page
      C2=1	320x200 colour palette 2; cyan, magenta, white; 1 page
      Med=2	640x200 1 page
      Hi=3	640x400 1 page
VGALo	=0	640x200 16 colour 4 pages
   Med	=1	640x400 16 colour 2 pages
   Hi	=2	640x480 16 colour 1 page
   Hi2	=3	640x480 2 colour 1 page
PC3270Hi=0	720x350 1 page

Hope this helps settle any questions out there about what graphics modes
it supports.  I would like to know, however, which VGA modes those are, as
I will be getting a card soon that will do VGA 11 and 12.

--
=====================Grant Prellwitz==========================
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP

dmnhieu@trillium.waterloo.edu (DM NHIEU) (02/03/88)

Hi there, any one out there know if I had Turbo Pascal 3.01A for the
Apple II+, now I want to upgrate it to TP4.0 for the IBM PC XT, is it
possible?  I already send in my original diskette to Borland last year
before Christmas (was 20-Dec-87)   I ask them to charge to my Master Card
for upgrating price, however today 2-Feb-88, I haven't heard from them yet.

I also buy the graphics,editor, gameworks toolboxes (IBM version this time)
from them and I am also registered, however, Borland didn't send me any         informatation about any new products, I also heard that they a journal or
something for all Turbo pascal users, I receive nothing!!!

Has any  one out there have the same experience?

Is it because I am a Canadian TP user therefore I get second class service?

If you have any comment please write to me at:

                                                dmnhieu@trillium.uucp

agollum@engr.uky.edu (David Herron aka Admiral Gollum) (02/04/88)

[I tried to mail this directly, but my machine doesn't recognize watdragon]

My office upgraded from the CP/M version of TP 3.0 to the IBM version 0f
4.0, so I'm sure Borland will let you upgrade.  However, they don't require
you to send the disk in, just the serial number.  I'd suggest you give
Borland a call or write them a letter.

Kenneth Herron

840411s@aucs.UUCP (Black Widow) (03/18/88)

I just received from one of the postmen that this didn't make it to the net,
so I am reposting.  If it made it to your site, please ignore.  Thanks.

I have recently purchased Turbo Pascal 4.0 and think that even though it is
basically C'd pascal, it is a great package.  In the package, there is a demo
of using make, with the appropriate make file.  However, when I  run this
demo, I get an error that says that it can't execute BINOBJ , even though I
can do it manually.  I am hesitant to call Borland, even though I am a
registered user, simply because of the money involved in the call (I'm a
student, which means that I am broke).

Any and all comments would be appreciated, please E-mail me.  My address is

--
UUCP:{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!840411S
BITNET:840411s@Acadia

  Black Widow - "She mates and she kills."

  Black Widow - "She mates and she kills."