[comp.lang.pascal] Public Domain Pascal Compiler Source Code

CULLEN.JJS@PRIME1.LANCASHIRE-POLY.AC.UK (03/05/88)

Last year a message was posted giving details of the source code for a pascal
compiler in the SIMTEL20 archives. I tried to mail ARCHIVE-REQUEST for details
of file transfers but got a message back saying it was no longer there...
Does anyone out there know how to get the public domain source, or are there
any other source files available ? Thanx in advance,     John C.

peiffer@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Tim J. Peiffer) (03/11/88)

In article <12130@brl-adm.ARPA>, CULLEN.JJS@PRIME1.LANCASHIRE-POLY.AC.UK writes:
> Last year a message was posted giving details of the source code for a pascal
> compiler in the SIMTEL20 archives. I tried to mail ARCHIVE-REQUEST for details
> of file transfers but got a message back saying it was no longer there...
> Does anyone out there know how to get the public domain source, or are there
> any other source files available ? Thanx in advance,     John C.

     Please add me to the list also!

Tim Peiffer
Computer Science Systems Group
Computer Science Department
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455.
(Ding-aling Net 612-625-0876)
peiffer@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
peiffer@umn-cs.UUCP

charlie@ureka.UUCP (charlie crassi) (03/20/88)

In article <4266@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu>, pieffer@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu writes:
> Last year a message was posted giving details of the source code for a pascal
> compiler in the SIMTEL20 archives. I tried to mail ARCHIVE-REQUEST for details
> of file transfers but got a message back saying it was no longer there...
> Does anyone out there know how to get the public domain source, or are there
> any other source files available ? Thanx in advance,     John C.

     Please add me to the list also!

Charlie Crassi
charlie@ureka
rutgers!rochester!kodak!ureka!charlie
 		        \
			 pcid!ureka!charlie
		        /
           ethos!gizzmo!

bobdi@omepd (Bob Dietrich) (03/22/88)

I personally do not know anything about the SIMTEL20 archives; however, there
are some other potential sources.

The first is how Pascal was ported to a lot of architectures in the first
place: the Pascal P4 compiler. The compiler outputs code for an abstract
P-machine which can then be interpreted or run through a macro assembler.
Unfortunately (or fortunately), the last time this was officially distributed
was more than 5 years ago, before there was a Pascal standard. You may be
able to find someone who has a copy. I do somewhere, but relying on me to send
it to you would be a prolonged exercise in holding your breath. While
probably not "public domain", you can probably get it for free and modify it
at will.

The "Amsterdam Compiler Kit" was also based on an abstract machine, called
EM-1. It was (so I'm told) much easier to retarget. It was done by Andrew
Tanenbaum, the same person who wrote the Unix-clone MINIX. While I don't
think it was free or public domain, I don't recall it being very expensive.
I don't know if it is still being distributed, or how close to standard it
is. The last address I have for Dr. Tanenbaum is "...seismo!cs.vu.nl!ast"
(he may hate me for this!).

The last possibility is to get what's distributed with the Pascal Validation
Suite (PVS). When you buy the PVS, you get the Standard Pascal Static[?] Checker
(SPSC), and you can also buy the Standard Pascal Model Implementation
(SPMI). The SPSC is intended to detect every error in a Pascal program,
short of those that can only be detected by running it. The SPMI goes
further, and outputs code that can be actually run. The SPMI includes an
interpreter, disassembler, and post-mortem analyzer. Either the SPSC or the
SPMI might be a good starting point, depending on what you intend to do. I
have absolutely no idea of what the legal ramifications are of using the SPMI
to create your own compiler, but since the M stands for Model, there may be
possibilities. Last year's pricing was $600 for the PVS and $600 for the
SPMI. Everything is in Pascal, of course.

I have no idea what the original poster intended to do with a "public
domain Pascal compiler". These suggestions may be overkill, but if the
project is of any significance, I'd suggest pursuing the last alternative.

				Bob Dietrich
				Intel Corporation, Hillsboro, Oregon
				(503) 696-4400 or 2092(messages x4188,2111)
		usenet:		tektronix!ogcvax!omepd!bobdi
		  or		tektronix!psu-cs!omepd!bobdi
		  or		ihnp4!verdix!omepd!bobdi

I1090801%DBSTU1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (03/25/88)

In the german computer magazine "Pascal International" there
has been an 8 part article on how to build a Pascal compiler.
The described compiler is derived from the Pascal P-4 compiler
and generates P-code. After the last part has just been
published (4/88) you can get the source of the compiler (5000
lines) and the source of the P-code interpreter (1500 lines of
Pascal code) directly from the publishers of the magazine. The price
is 24 DM (Deutsche Mark) which is some 15 US Dollars + S&H (3 DM
inside Germany). You can get the source adapted either for
IBM-PC (Turbo-Pascal 4.0, 2 disks 5 1/4 inch, 360 kB) or for
Atari ST (Pascal ST-plus, 1 disk, 3 1/2 inch).
The address of the publishing house is
     DMV-Verlag
     Pascal International
     Postfach 250
     3440 Eschwege
     West Germany
You can also order by phone from monday to friday from
8.00 to 16.00 hours CET (Central European Time).
The phone number is
     Code for West Germany / 05651 / 8702

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the company. I am only a reader
of their magazine.

                                      Ulf Gruene
                                I1090801@DBSTU1.BITNET
                         Technische Universitaet Braunschweig
                                     West Germany

john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) (03/28/88)

> In the german computer magazine "Pascal International" there
> has been an 8 part article on how to build a Pascal compiler.
> The described compiler is derived from the Pascal P-4 compiler
> and generates P-code. After the last part has just been
> published (4/88) you can get the source of the compiler (5000
.
.
.

Do you know if it is ISO level 0 or 1 (or not ISO conformant at all?)?

Do you know what restrictions are placed on it's use and/or redistribution?

john