[comp.lang.pascal] pxp and null

iwm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) (04/09/88)

The pxp  BSD Pascal prettyprinter inserts the word `null' in places
where a null statement is legal : if B then P else; becomes
if B then P else null;. Null is not a legal Pascal statement and
causes non BSD Pascal processing tools to complain, (eg. ptc : Pascal to
C converter). As pxp has an {\HUGE FLAME undocumented} switch -O for
removing `others' in case statements it is used in compiling TeX --
and the Tangle  preprocessor generates statements with null cases that
get mangled as described above.

Ian W Moor
  UUCP: seismo!mcvax!ukc!icdoc!iwm
  ARPA: iwm@doc.ic.ac.uk
  JANET: iwm@uk.ac.ic.doc

 Department of Computing   Whereat a great and far-off voice was heard, saying,
 Imperial College.         Poop-poop-poopy, and it was even so; and the days
 180 Queensgate            of Poopy Panda were long in the land.
 London SW7 Uk.

mike@turing.UNM.EDU (Michael I. Bushnell) (04/11/88)

In article <252@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> iwm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) writes:
>The pxp  BSD Pascal prettyprinter inserts the word `null' in places
>where a null statement is legal : if B then P else; becomes
>if B then P else null;. Null is not a legal Pascal statement and
>causes non BSD Pascal processing tools to complain, (eg. ptc : Pascal to
>C converter). As pxp has an {\HUGE FLAME undocumented} switch -O for
>removing `others' in case statements it is used in compiling TeX --
>and the Tangle  preprocessor generates statements with null cases that
>get mangled as described above.

While null statements are ALWAYS legal...[take a look at the syntax],
the procedure name "null" is required to be provided in every ISO
comformant compiler.  It is a procedure which does nothing.  Berkeley
pc just ignores it instead of generating a call.  So, it IS standard
pascal.

Furthermore, in my opinion, the placement of an explicit call to null
makes the structure much more readable.
                N u m q u a m   G l o r i a   D e o

			Michael I. Bushnell
			HASA - "A" division
14308 Skyline Rd NE				Computer Science Dept.
Albuquerque, NM  87123		OR		Farris Engineering Ctr.
	OR					University of New Mexico
mike@turing.unm.edu				Albuquerque, NM  87131
{ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing.unm.edu!mike