[comp.lang.pascal] Output redirect

govett@avsd.UUCP (David Govett) (04/12/88)

I'm studying Personal Pascal for the Atari ST, but am having trouble
redirecting output to the printer.

I know that

	       writeln(output,'text')

will output to the screen, but how do I redirect output from
standard output to the printer?

Please give a specific example, if possible.

Thanks for any help.

starbrd@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (61779000) (04/13/88)

In article <100@avsd.UUCP> govett@avsd.UUCP (David Govett) writes:
>I know that writeln(output,'text') will output to the screen, but
how do I redirect output from standard output to the printer?

I used Apple ][ Pascal some years ago, and to send output to the
printer one used writeln(printer,'text') .  I do not recall
if there was way to send output to both the screen and the
printer at once.

Steven Widom
starbrd@ucscb.ucsc.edu

pilgrimk@lafcol.UUCP (Pilgrim Kenwyn A) (04/15/88)

In article <100@avsd.UUCP>, govett@avsd.UUCP (David Govett) writes:
> I'm studying Personal Pascal for the Atari ST, but am having trouble
> redirecting output to the printer.
> I know that
> 	       writeln(output,'text')
>
> will output to the screen, but how do I redirect output from
> standard output to the printer?
>
> Please give a specific example, if possible.
>
> Thanks for any help.
This works in TP3. The only non-standard function is assign.

var Dev : text; {file of char}

begin
    .
    .
    .
    assign(Dev, 'lpt1:'); {or try assign(Dev, 'lpt1')};
    rewrite(Dev);
    .
    .
    .
    close(Dev);
end.

You could set up a case staement to decide to which device the ouput
should go to.