[comp.lang.pascal] Is there something wrong with Turbo pascal 4.0's EGC-screen-driver?

leif@ambush.UUCP (Leif Andrew Rump) (04/21/88)

   One of my friends has a Mandelbroot-program written in TP4 and a
computer with an EGC-card, but as far as he can see, TP4 is only using
CGA graphics!
   He's using a Olivetti M24 or M24SP with an AT&T adapter (640 * 400
B/W EGC) and he also tried a to load an resident driver that allowed
him to use 16 colors in 640 * 400 mode, but the ATT.BGI-file stayed
inactive.
   Any suggestions?

   Leif Andrew Rump, Ambrasoft A/S, Roejelskaer 15, DK-2840 Holte (Denmark)
       UUCP: leif@ambush.dk, phone: +45 2424 111, ABC BBS: +456800544

             "It tasted almost, but not intirely unlike tea"
                    - The Hitch hicker's Guide to the Galaxy

lowey@sask.UUCP (Kevin Lowey) (05/03/88)

In article <736@ambush.UUCP>, leif@ambush.UUCP (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:

>    One of my friends has a Mandelbroot-program written in TP4 and a
> computer with an EGC-card, but as far as he can see, TP4 is only using
> CGA graphics!
>    He's using a Olivetti M24 or M24SP with an AT&T adapter (640 * 400
> B/W EGC) and he also tried a to load an resident driver that allowed
> him to use 16 colors in 640 * 400 mode, but the ATT.BGI-file stayed
> inactive.

Remember that by default Turbo Pascal's INITGRAPH routine attempts to determine
what kind of graphics device is being used.  The documentation states that this
works for all the drivers EXCEPT the AT&T driver.  If you are attempting to
have Turbo Pascal automatically detect the device being used, it will assume
you are using a CGA card.  The way to fix this is to ask the user what driver
to use and override the detection.  Another solution is to write your own
detection routines, which make sure you are using AT&T or OLIVETTI hardware,
then call the INITGRAPH routine yourself explicitly asking for the AT&T driver.

| Kevin Lowey                    |The above is the personal opinion of Kevin |
| University of Saskatchewan     |Lowey.  It does not reflect the position of|
| Computing Services             |the University of Saskatchewan in any way. |
| SaskTel: (306) 966-4826        |                                           |
| Bitnet:LOWEY@SASK. (preferred) |I am in no way affiliated with any of the  |
| UUCP:    ihnp4!sask!lowey.uucp |above mentioned companies other than U of S|