[comp.lang.pascal] New Pascal standared

art@buengc.BU.EDU (A. R. Thompson) (06/01/88)

In article <3506@omepd> bobdi@omepd.UUCP (Bob Dietrich) writes:
>In article <347@buengc.BU.EDU> art@buengc.bu.edu (A. R. Thompson) writes:
>> [...]                                       Actually, functions that have
>>structured types as a result type are to become part of the new Pascal
>>standard due out soon.  When?
>>
>There is a letter ballot out now on whether to send the latest version of the
>draft proposed Extended Pascal standard out for public comment. The ballot
>period ends June 3, and results should be available at the Joint Pascal
>Committee (JPC) meeting the week of June 13 in Minnesota. Assuming the ballot
>succeeds, a month or so later the draft will go out for a public comment
>period of probably 60 days. Any comments received must be resolved, and then
>the decision made whether or not the resolution caused substantial change,
>which means going through the cycle again.
>
>This will be the second public comment period for the draft. The first
>comment period generated a couple of inches of comments and responses, but I
>think we are converging. Extended Pascal won't be a perfect language (name
>one that is to everyone!), but I think it will be quite useful.
>
>				Bob Dietrich
>				Intel Corporation, Hillsboro, Oregon
>				(503) 696-4400 or 2092(messages x4188,2111)
>		usenet:		tektronix!ogcvax!omepd!bobdi
>		  or		tektronix!psu-cs!omepd!bobdi
>		  or		ihnp4!verdix!omepd!bobdi

I was hoping to tickle a response from Bob Dietrich or someone else on
JPC.  I used to be a member but had to drop out for reasons beyond my
control.  The deliberations of the committee have been going on for some
time with little or no publicity.  Many interesting and deep philosophical
issues have been raised.  I would like to ask Bob or some other member of
the committee to post status reports after each meeting so that those of us
who are still concerned but doing other things can be kept up to date.  It
would also be a great service of one of you who are (were) involved could
post a summary of the issues and how they were resolved.  I realize this
could be a bit of a bother but it would serve a valuable public service.

How about it Bob?

			       Al Thompson
			Department of Electrical,
		     Computer and Systems Engineering
			  College of Engineering
			    Boston University
			   44 Cummington Street
			    Boston, MA  02215
			      (617) 353-9880

bobdi@omepd (Bob Dietrich) (06/02/88)

(Hmmm, I seem to have been put on the spot. That's what I get for opening my
big mouth.)

I can't promise anything at all, but I'll try to keep people current on
what's going on as I have in the past. I have a lot of demands on my time as
it is, but things should be easing up a little over the next couple of months.
(I made the mistake of reading the news while I was waiting for a document to
be printed. I'm sitting in my second office in 80960 land at 8PM, preparing to
go out of town on business.)

With the second public comment period coming up, I'd really encourage people
to get a copy and send in comments, as well as discussing issues in this
newsgroup. Yes, the draft of Extended Pascal is written in standardese and
not English (or American). Yes, it will cost you time and a few bucks to
review it. We need your comments to make it a better, usable standard, even
though it means more work for those of us on the Pascal standards committees
(care to help?). No, it's copyrighted material so I can't send you a freebie.

I'll let you know how and where to get the document as soon as it is released
for public comment. In the meantime, I'll try to keep you updated.