[comp.lang.pascal] turbo Pascal memory access

dg1v+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Greene) (06/27/88)

Could anyone tell me how I can make use of memory outside the 64 K limit in
Turbo?  I'm using a model 80 with 3 meg of RAM and I'd like to be able to
assign a large pointer array to use the extra memory segment(s).

Any hints or suggestions are welcome.

-David
dg1v@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon Univ.

toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) (06/29/88)

In article <YWlI9ry00UwBMZs0Ei@andrew.cmu.edu>, dg1v+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Greene) writes:
> Could anyone tell me how I can make use of memory outside the 64 K limit in
> Turbo?  I'm using a model 80 with 3 meg of RAM and I'd like to be able to
> assign a large pointer array to use the extra memory segment(s).
>
> Any hints or suggestions are welcome.
>
> -David
> dg1v@andrew.cmu.edu
> Carnegie Mellon Univ.

There is alt leaste 1 package on the market that will allow you to do this.
The Package I'm refering to is Turbo Professional by Turbo Power Software
I think Blaise Power Tools also supports Extended Memory (EMS).

I Have Turbo Professional and must say, It's EXCELLENT!!! It has a bunch of
other things to, but as for the extended memory, Turbo Professional will let
you access it kinkd of like a Big array of referenced by a pointer. It has
a fuction called 'GetExtMem' that you can use just like GetMem with the
exception that you must allocate your data in 1k blocks.

Another hit for Turbo Power, they have an EXCELLENT source level symbolic
debugger for Turbo 4.0 for $65.00...

Anyway, I have been using Turbo Professional for about 6 months now and
couldn't get along with out it. The people there are very knowledeable and
very willing to help (actual programmers...)
This package costs $99.00 and you get full source code (very well documented).
One thing nice here is that they offer replacement (faster) for most of
the standard Turbo Units, like Crt.Tpu and you have the source for these...

Address:
Turbo Power Software
3109 Scotts Valley Drive
Suite 122