[comp.lang.pascal] Turbo 4.0 questions

dg1v+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Greene) (06/28/88)

I have heard that turbo version 4.0 does not have the 64K memory limit of
previous versions...
Is this true?
What are some of the other enhancements?

I'm trying to provide arguments so our computing group will purchase the
upgrade :-)

Thanks for any insights.

-David Greene
dg1v@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon Univ.

toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) (06/29/88)

In article <IWlh0-y00WE4INU0-y@andrew.cmu.edu>, dg1v+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Greene) writes:
> I have heard that turbo version 4.0 does not have the 64K memory limit of
> previous versions...
> Is this true?
> What are some of the other enhancements?
>
> I'm trying to provide arguments so our computing group will purchase the
> upgrade :-)
>
> Thanks for any insights.
>
> -David Greene
> dg1v@andrew.cmu.edu
> Carnegie Mellon Univ.

Yea, TP 4.0 does still have the 64k limit on data, but it no longer has a limit
on Code size (barring the amount of available memory on your PC), But, this
has never really been a problem anyway given the fact that you can allocate
memory from the heap up to the 640k limit of the PC and with Turbo Professional
you can use Extended Memory above 640k.

TP 4.0 Has many reasons to upgrade from 3.x, the most, in my opinion, is the
fact that it gives you a REAL development environment with 'Linkable' objects
and and interface to other languages via Microsoft Object Format, like C or
Prolog or Assembler (But it still has Inline statement). Also TP 4.0
has a Lightning fast compiler (about 27,000 lines/minute on a 10mhz AT).

It has an excellent Graphics interface (Borlands BGI graphics interface pkg)

It does take a little work to convert over from 3.x, They provide a conversion
utility with the compiler package, but it sucks! (Oh well, who ever said that
Heaven didn't have 'stickers'?)

The code runs faster, the executable is smaller in most cases, there are a lot
of DOS interface functions/procedures (like Exec), and So on, and So on...

Turbo Pascal 4.0 is a Great bargain, I think is is the Best Development
available for the PC. It's REAL non-portable, but the stuff I use it for
is PC Specific, SO THERE!... Also if you read my last article, there is
an Excellent Source level, Symbolic, windowing debugger available for it
from Turbo Power Software (and L. David Baldwin).

So much for the Book - I think you should buy it!!!

Tom Armistead
---
UUCP:   ...!ihnp4!killer!toma

Disclaimer? We don't need no Stinking Disclaimer!!!
--
Tom Armistead