[comp.lang.pascal] Summary of responses to

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (07/10/88)

In article <1020@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (that's me) writes:
> I'm looking for a Pascal for the UNIX-PC/3b1.  At this point in
> time, I'll listen to any ideas.
>
> So, if you have YACC/C source, know of a prepackaged Pascal for
> the 3b1, or have any good suggestions, email me and let me know.
>
> I'll summarize to the net in a couple of weeks (should be enough
> time for this post to propigate and replies to come in.

Ok, here's the few answers that I recieved.

From: <ames!pacbell!att!ihlpf!lgm>

1) A while back someone posted a Pascal-to-C translator to the Net
(probably comp.sources.unix).  It was structured as one enormous
file, so large that I had to chop it in two in order to get it
through the UNIX PC assembler.  But I did get it to compile,
and it works - at least it was able to translate itself (no mean feat!).

2) Harvard Townsend, at Kansas State University, has ported a
Modula-2 compiler to the UNIX PC.  He has given it out for beta
test.  I don't know when he thinks it'll be ready for regular
release.

	Larry Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	att!ihlpf!lgm

From: ames!ihnp4!ihlpf!elonich

We used Turbo Pascal, after installing a DOS card on our 7300.
It worked pretty well -- we had to do some manual tuning to get the graphics
to work properly.

Diane Pedersen
AT&T Bell Labs  Naperville, IL
IX 1F470  (312) 979-0821
ihlpf!elonich

[I like this solution, except I can't run the object code under Unix!  If worst
comes to worst, though, this might work. -erict]

From: unisoft!gethen!isaac

As it happens, I wrote the manual for the standard Pascal for the Unix
PC when I worked for Convergent.  It's really just the Unix version of
the SVS Pascal compiler for the 68010.  I'm suprised you didn't know
about it -- but maybe I shouldn't be, ATT is *so* good at hiding its
products.  You might try ATT again (I'm assuming you tried already and
got some undertrained clerk with an incomplete catalog) and *insist*
that the product exists.  Failing that, you might call Convergent in San
Jose.  If they're still not selling Unix PC stuff, you could pretend you
own a MiniFrame or some other Convergent 68010-based box and buy the
Pascal compiler for *that*.  (Be sure you don't get the 68020 version
and that you have a tape drive that's compatible.  Convergent and ATT
floppy drives are incompatible.)  Finally, you might contact Silicon
Valley Software in Cupertino and explain your plight.

But I suspect any Pascal for the 68010 might do -- and most of the are
probably the SVS program anyway.

Thanks for all the replies. :-(.  I wish more people out there had some
info, but maybe this will help.

--
Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007