[comp.lang.pascal] simtel20 and ftps

basin@hub.ucsb.edu (Krik Ziegler) (08/03/88)

I am new to this newsgroup.  I have been reading about something called
simtel20 which appears to be some file server.  How do I access it?
Also, what ftp sites are there that have (Turbo) Pascal code?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jim Lick
basin@hub.ucsb.edu   ...!ucbvax!hub!basin

toma@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Tom Armistead) (08/03/88)

in article <741@hub.ucsb.edu>, basin@hub.ucsb.edu (Krik Ziegler) says:

> I am new to this newsgroup.  I have been reading about something called
> simtel20 which appears to be some file server.  How do I access it?

Me to - how do I access simtel20

Tom Armistead
--
-------------
Tom Armistead

jackm@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Jack Morrison) (08/03/88)

>> I am new to this newsgroup.  I have been reading about something called
>> simtel20 which appears to be some file server.  How do I access it?
>Me to - how do I access simtel20

Step 1. Read news.announce.newuser.

Step 2. Read man page for ftp.

Step 3. Wait till off hours.

Step 3. ftp simtel20.arpa

(address is 26.0.0.74)

Step 4. login as "anonymous".

Step 5. Wave magic wand at the bird while chanting "XYZZY". [just kidding.]
--
Jack C. Morrison, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
"How am I typing? Call 1-818-354-1431, or mail jackm@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov"

goosh@cisunx.UUCP (Walter Perz) (08/04/88)

In article <5068@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> toma@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Tom Armistead) writes:
>in article <741@hub.ucsb.edu>, basin@hub.ucsb.edu (Krik Ziegler) says:
>> I am new to this newsgroup.  I have been reading about something called
>> simtel20 which appears to be some file server.  How do I access it?

Ftp stands for file transfer protocol.

simtel20 is an archive site of a great number of msdos files.

Try typing ftp -n and see if it works... read your system manuals on ftp

simtel20 will generally let you log in under an account called "anonymous"
and let you receive files...

any more problems let me know by e-mail

hope this helps

walter Perz

Walter G. Perz                       goosh@cisunx.UUCP
University of Pittsburgh             goosh@pittvms.BITNET
"Let me get my baseball bat to show you how much I appreciate you !"-Watterson

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (08/04/88)

Getting to simtel20 is the easy part.  The thing i dont understand is how  to
get around in the TOPS-20 directory structure.  What is the rational involved?
How do you get an "ls -s"  type listing of files?

					...ken