[comp.lang.pascal] Pascal Compiler for Xenix

nenicola@ndsuvax.UUCP (Steven Nicolai) (09/22/88)

I am looking for Pascal compilers for a xenix based system.  Some
friends of mine have a large system consisting of about 300 pascal
programs that they are looking at moving to xenix from MS-DOS.

The programs are written in Turbo Pascal 3.0, but use none of the
Pascal I/O, this is done through calls to a C library.  The programs
don't use many of the features supported by Turbo.  The programs
are also compilable on the Macintosh with MPW.

The biggest extensions to Pascal that are needed are:

    1.  The ability to take the address of a variable.  (This is
        used to comunicate with the C library)

    2.  ANSI strings, strings as arrays of CHAR won't do.

If you know of a Pascal compiler that might fit this bill, please
email me.

Steve
--
---------------
Steve Nicolai                    USMAIL:   1717 40th St SW Apt 106

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) (09/25/88)

In article <1343@ndsuvax.UUCP>, nenicola@ndsuvax.UUCP (Steven Nicolai) writes:
> I am looking for Pascal compilers for a xenix based system.  Some
> friends of mine have a large system consisting of about 300 pascal
> programs that they are looking at moving to xenix from MS-DOS.
>
> The biggest extensions to Pascal that are needed are:
>
>     1.  The ability to take the address of a variable.  (This is
>         used to comunicate with the C library)
>
>     2.  ANSI strings, strings as arrays of CHAR won't do.

Look at  the Microsoft Pascal compiler.  It is compatable at the source level
with the same compiler on dos.  It has both of the extensions you want (the
strings are called "lstring"s), and is fairly bug-free.  We have been using
both versions (DOS and Xenix) for a few years now with very few problems.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.