[comp.lang.pascal] Turbo Pascal 5.0 and Turbo Technix

dgr0093@ritcv.UUCP (Michelangelo H. Jones) (10/16/88)

I got my Turbo Pascal 5.0 professional package two days after my check cleared,
about two weeks after I mailed it. I have no complaints against Borland's
shipping department. I had thought that the different programs of the ProPack
were more integrated, though. At worst, however, a minor disappointment.
The Borland manuals were better (thinner, but still thick paperbacks, 5 volumes
taking about 6 or 7 inches of shelf space.)

But what I want to know is, what's this about Turbo Technix being cancelled?
I subscribe, and I didn't see any mention in the latest issue (the latest
issue I have is the one describing the directory search engine in TP5 and
announcing the new languages). That would be a truly sad thing if true, for
it was one magazine well worth even a $10.00/issue price. (Good thing it was
free, or I'd be broker than I already am keeping up with Borland's upgrades.)

Dave Rutherford a.k.a. Michelangelo H. Jones.

gmcaulif@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Garrett Mcauliffe) (10/16/88)

In article <940@ritcv.UUCP> dgr0093@ritcv.UUCP (Michelangelo H. Jones) writes:
>The Borland manuals were better (thinner, but still thick paperbacks, 5 volumes
>taking about 6 or 7 inches of shelf space.)

Except, their new manual for Turbo Assembler--the example programs they
list are filled with little bugs.  It would make learning assembler for
the novice a REAL nuisance.  I wish Borland got on the ball with this!!!

>But what I want to know is, what's this about Turbo Technix being cancelled?
>I subscribe, and I didn't see any mention in the latest issue (the latest
>issue I have is the one describing the directory search engine in TP5 and
>announcing the new languages). That would be a truly sad thing if true, for

Yes, it's true.  I've heard Borland's been cutting back on its staff, and
the staff of Turbo Technix was one of their cuts...  Very unfortunate, for
I haven't seen such a quality magazine out in years (and never one for the
IBM programming languages).  I called Borland, and they confirmed that they
no longer publish the magazine.  I think everyone should write them and
try to get them to put it back together....

Garrett

davidc@fpssun.fps.com (David Collett ext 1648) (10/20/88)

I sent in my registration card over a year ago.  Since then, I received
one issue of Technix magazine.  ONE!  It was the issue about how to
use the mouse in Pascal.  It was a 2-part article.  Of course, I never
received the second part!

Would ANYONE be willing to send me a copy of that article?  It was the
one about using the mouse in hi-res.  I will happily reimburse you for
mailing and Xerox fees.  Thank you very much!

David S. Collett
6830 S.W. 192nd Avenue
Beaverton, OR. 97007

conway@hpdtl.HP.COM (Daniel F. Conway) (10/20/88)

gmcaulif@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Garrett Mcauliffe) writes (re. Turbo Technix):

  I haven't seen such a quality magazine out in years (and never one for the
  IBM programming languages).  I called Borland, and they confirmed that they
  no longer publish the magazine.  I think everyone should write them and
  try to get them to put it back together....

I'll second the motion.

Does Phillipe Kahn read notes?

Dan Conway
Hewlett-Packard