[net.music] Rush, Alex Lifeson, Guitarists, etc....

salzman@rdlvax.UUCP (Gumby) (11/01/85)

In article <2440@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>In article <175@rdlvax.UUCP> salzman@rdlvax.UUCP (Gumby) writes:
>>
>>I can't leave out my personal main influence on the guitar, because I
>>think that when it comes to guitar, this guy knows how to fit a solo to
>>a song like no one else can. I'm referring to Alex Lifeson of Rush.
>
>       ...his solos don't make any sense!!...

And Page's make all the sense in the world??? I happen to like some of
old Zep, but now we're comparing musical styles. You can't compare
Rush's music to Zep (except for maybe the very early days of Rush, i.e.
Pre 2112). Rush's music is not blues based. Just because it isn't blues,
it doesn't make sense?? (to re-iterate what kirsh@sjuvax.UUCP said).
Listen to what Alex does on Hemispheres, especially La Villa Strangiato,
and the solo to Camera Eye on Moving Pictures. They make more sense than
anything I've heard Page do. Of course, if you don't like Rush's music,
you're not going to care for the solos either, but you don't have to
make an attack on his playing like that....

>>How did this start anyway? With Jimi Page? Give me a break. The guy is
>
>         ...Why?? Is Jimmy Page grody to the max!? Are you sherr!?...

And what the hell was the point of that stupid remark???

>>sloppy as hell. I saw him on the same stage as Clapton and Beck (ARMS
>
>       ...I'd like to hear you construct some phrases as well as he did
>       and then execute them perfectly.I bet you'd be far sloppier.And
>       the way I understand it,he consistently received standing ovations
>       at the ARMS benefits shows.In fact it got so bad that he was embar-
>       rassed by the adulation he was receiving far and above the other two...

Now you're making a blind attack on my playing ability, how stupid can
you get? I never claimed to be as good as Page or Lifeson or anyone. Who
gives you the right to judge? Are you a guitarist? What do standing
ovations have to do with it? Let's face it, Page is more popular than
Beck or Clapton, that doesn't mean he's better. Page was once asked who
he thought was the best guitarist around and he said it was Beck.
Popularity doesn't imply talent. These days, it's quite the opposite....

>>benefit at LA Forum), and I was not very impressed. I think Clapton
>>totally blew page away. And what he did at Live AID was discusting. The
>
>       ...you know it's a shame Page didn't play with "The Firm" at Live-Aid,
>       doing material that he's freshly rehearsed.I'm sick to death of hearing
>       how "he's not as good as he used to be" when he still plays rock axe
>       with plenty of heart in his new band...

What does being freshly rehearsed have to do with it? After playing a
song for 10-15 years he should know it well enough not to need to
rehearse it, and who stopped him from practicing before the gig? It's
not like he did it on a days notice. Does he need to rehearse his guitar
solos? Solos are supposed to be spontaneous, and improvised. Did he
forget how to do that? And even if he did 'write' his solos, if he
forgot them, he should be good enough to improv something. That's what
blues is about. What blues guitarists write their solos??

>>solo he did on Stairway to Heaven stunk! I think Jimi's getting old. I
>>do say that he used to be quite a decent bluesman back in the early Zep
>>days, but he is totally out of date.....
>
>       ...*I do say* that he was the best British bluesman of them all.
>       Today,when I hear "The Firm" I recognize the sound of Page's guitar.
>       He has always been distinctive and always will be.Is this true of
>       Lifeson? The fact remains that in the field of rock guitarists,Life-
>       son was never in Page's league,and this can be said for most rock
>       axemen.

Like you say, WAS the best (maybe, but I don't think so), but surely not
is the best. Lifeson has a very distinctive sound. I can pick his solos
out anywhere. Lifeson may not be in Page's league as far as popularity
goes, but he's sure up there as far as talent goes. Lifeson's style has
constantly evolved over the years, Page hasn't changed a bit. Also, I
never said Lifeson was the greatest either. You missed the point of my
article. The point was that there are many great guitarists and the
comment I made about Page was that I think he's surely not one of the
candidates these days (maybe 15 years ago he was), and the whole spew of
articles on great guitarists started on someone saying he was (I suppose
it was you, but I don't remember). You need to be a little more open
minded on the matter. I stated Lifeson as being my biggest personal
influence on the instrument, not the greatest guitarist around. There's
many reasons for that. It has to do with the fact that I'm very fond of
Rush's music, and their attitude toward music - it's called INTEGRITY,
and it's something Rush has always had. You've probably never heard of
the word....

 "...One likes to believe in the freedom of music. But glittering prizes
 and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity..."

			-Neal Peart (RUSH: from "The Spirit of Radio").

--
* Isaac Salzman (Gumby)
* UUCP: ...{ttidca,psivax}!rdlvax!salzman