[comp.lang.pascal] Optimized pascal?

Joaquim.Homrighausen@f20.n135.z1.uucp (Joaquim Homrighausen) (10/25/88)

This must be it - the new optimizing Turbo Pascal compiler..
I've just spend about an hour running a short routine through
the debugger and saw something quite interesting:

mov  [bp-3], al
mov  al, [bp-3]

..pretty darn optimized.. I know I'm not the best programmer at
times, but this is ridiculous for a compiler to generate.. sure,
if they would support something like C's VOLATILE keyword, but
this..

  regards,
    joaquim

--
Joaquim Homrighausen - via FidoNet node 1:135/3
Medical Software Exchange BBS (305) 325-8709

erja@daimi.dk (Erik Jacobsen) (11/03/88)

In article <111.2364151B@medsoft.uucp> Joaquim Homrighausen writes:
>This must be it - the new optimizing Turbo Pascal compiler..
>I've just spend about an hour running a short routine through
>the debugger and saw something quite interesting:
>
>mov  [bp-3], al
>mov  al, [bp-3]
>
>..pretty darn optimized.. I know I'm not the best programmer at
>times, but this is ridiculous for a compiler to generate.. sure,
>if they would support something like C's VOLATILE keyword, but
>this..

Not always! If there is a jump to the second mov, e.g.

         mov [bp-3],al
  label: mov al,[bp-3]
         jmp label

there isn't much the compiler can do to avoid the mov.

>  regards,
>    joaquim
>

>--
>Joaquim Homrighausen - via FidoNet node 1:135/3
>Medical Software Exchange BBS (305) 325-8709
>UUCP: ...uunet!gould!umbio!medsoft!20!Joaquim.Homrighausen

   Regards,
      Erik

Erik Jacobsen                      erja@daimi.dk (or erja@daimi.uucp)
Computer Science Department        Phone:     +45 6 12 71 88
Aarhus University
DK-8000 Aarhus, Denmark