[comp.lang.pascal] Public Domain windows/menus interface unit for Turbo Pascal?

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (11/19/88)

Lately, I have found myself writing code in Turbo Pascal that creates windows
scrolling displays and graphics stuff for the IBM-PC.  However much I may like
my routines, I know that such things as overlapping windows won't work with
them without handling the exceptions for bringing a window to the front etc.
I have been thinking about how to program my own set of menus and interaction
with the keyboard, but I am realizing this will take a lot of time.

Question: Does there exists a Public domain package (Turbo Pascal Unit) that
	  handles windowing and menus and keyboard interfaces?  I am interested
	  in having the source code available also.

I know that Microsoft windows and Desqview and bookoo other libraries exist
for programmer's to use, but I don't have the $$ to buy them.  I also have not
been following comp.sources.ibm.pc so I don't know if such a thing has been
posted.  Well, just a thought, please don't start up a flame war over Windows
Desqview and the like.  If you have something, Please let me know how to get
to it.
Thanks,
Bill Murphy
murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu

kirsch@braggvax.arpa (David Kirschbaum) (11/19/88)

I'd suggest (in SIMTEL20's pd2:<msdos.turbopas> one of the wndw30.arc,
wndw40.arc, and the qwik%%.arc packages (different versions for different
Turbo Pascal editions).  Nice turbo source, everything you ever wanted for
windowing (kinda).
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

mike@raven.BV.TEK.COM (Mike Ewan) (11/22/88)

In article <1650@pur-phy> murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) writes:

>Question: Does there exists a Public domain package (Turbo Pascal Unit) that
>	  handles windowing and menus and keyboard interfaces?  I am interested
>	  in having the source code available also.

Well... It's not PD but the Database Tool Box from Borland has what your
looking for.  Most of the "Tool Box" products from Borland have little
goodies tucked away in them.  The DB Tool Box has a windows unit, a menu
unit, and a pretty sophisticated line editor included.  I think the list
price is $69.99, but it can be had for less at some of the discount SW
houses.

--
 Michael Ewan                         ucbvax...\
 Tektronix Inc.                       decvax....\