[net.sf-lovers] What's worth reading?

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (02/09/84)

From: amber::chabot  (Lisa Chabot)
Excerpt from a letter by ... uokvax!andree on Sun Feb  5 20:09:07 1984
about @i[The Lathe of Heaven]:

> In that case, she failed. The reason I said <uncomplimentary> about the book
> was that I didn't like it. Watching people flail around for far too many
> pages, trying to find a solution that was obvious two pages after the
> problem was stated, does NOT make a good book.

Question:  Does watching people flail around for many pages, trying to find
a solution that may be obvious two pages after the problem was stated
necessarily make a bad book?

Many reputedly :-) great works of literature suffer :-) from just this
lack of directness.  For example,

book				obvious solutions  :-)
Crime and Punishment		don't kill the pawnbroker, but if you must,
				why not confess right away and avoid
				days of needless guilt trips

Pride and Prejudice		go ahead and marry the rich guy

An American Tragedy		a. don't plot to kill your pregnant girlfriend
				b. treat your kid to ice cream now and then
				   so he doesn't grow up to plot to kill
				   his poor girlfriend

The Grapes of Wrath		don't move to California

		(gee, this is fun!)

Yet each of the above take several hundred pages!  And in many of them,
the characters not only flail around, they either don't amend their ways
or never even see the correct solution.

Why do we read science fiction? (or speculative fiction, if you prefer)
English professors will tell you people read fiction (although they
probably would restrict it to mainstream fiction (or mundane, if you prefer))
to learn about life.  We can learn about the pitfalls of selling the farm
or of first-degree murder without actually having to experience Needles or
the electric chair.

Much science fiction, on the other hand, really seems to be useful in
learning to solve technical questions.  Such as:

problem					solution
How can I transport several		Have you thought of enlarging
tons of cargo several			upon tunnel diodes lately?
hundred miles without a truck?

We're running out of fossil		Time travel will let you mine
fuels!					during the Pleistocene era.

How can I travel instellar		Long ago, the universe was colonized
distances?				by a race of wise and ancient cats.
					Maybe they left a ship somewhere.
					Maybe it's in running condition.

These are neat hacks, but aside from the entertainment of exotic locations,
not imminently (although perhaps eminently) useful.  Many stories dealing
with technical problems also spend time on the logistics of implementation--
who's going to pay for it, how to conduct a discussion with a skeptical
expert in the field (or science fiction fan, if you prefer) and convince
the expert you're right, the problems of accumulated waste (water, depleted
fuel, angular momentum, whatever).  And how many angels we could get to
dance on it.

Yawning through the technical discussion about how we can build a tower
to the moon, we find that the story often lacks any worthwhile
characterizations: the skeptical expert is only a foil and is largely discarded
once convinced; the hero, great guy that he or she is, inevitably becomes
a better person at the end.  Still, any advice on how to accomplish this
would be imminently useful--wouldn't we all like to know fail-safe ways to win
arguments with managers and how to pilot across the story seas of life
while avoiding lurking white whales.  Yawning through the characterizations,
we don't find such advice.

So, here we are, avid solution fans, with a large body of literature
(or at least many pages) devoted to solutions.  Solutions which may not
really be solutions because they may contain a vital flaw.  You can get
away with murder as long as you don't get caught; you can travel through
time if you've got a time travel machine.

Shouldn't we all feel a little silly worrying whether or not somebody's
inconsistent universe is consistent?  If science fiction is to be admired
for its content of technical solutions, then, say, folks, have I got a deal
for you on the next colony ship leaving for Venus ("Would you buy it for
a quarter?").

Another solution:  Don't bother reading science fiction, the solution will be
			obvious in the synopsis	in net.sf-lovers.
Another solution:  Don't.

Good Grid!  Is this really a fanzine?!
Not me, I just read the stuff.				Lisa Chabot

UUCP:	...{ decvax | allegra | ucbvax }!decwrl!rhea!amber!chabot
ARPA:	...decwrl!rhea!amber!chabot@{ Berkeley | SU-Shasta }
reality:...DEC, MR03-1/K20, 2 Iron Way, Marlboro, MA  01752
fantasy:...Marlboro-in-the-Woods
shadow: ...avalon!chabot