[comp.lang.pascal] Microsoft Pascal : Why does it still exis

A-N-Onymouse@cup.portal.com (John - DeBert) (02/03/89)

In article <2529@nunki.usc.edu> sawant@nunki.usc.edu writes:

>In the domain of Pascal implementations, Turbo Pascal is really head
>and shoulders ahead of the competition (evidenced by the sheer lack of
>competition ?).  How and why does Microsoft keep churning out newer
>versions (each of them ponderous and painful) of Microsoft Pascal ?
>
>Is there any large group of people who would actually prefer MSP ?
>
>	-ajay
>You're never too old to have a happy childhood.
>
>ajay shah (213)745-2923 or sawant@nunki.usc.edu

Hopfully each version of MS Pascal will work on all MS-DOS machines? Turbo
Pascal cannot but works only on IBM PC's & 100% compatibles. TP resolutely
refuses to cooperate on my HP-150 running MS-DOS. I'm glad that there is
*something* that will run on any MS-DOS machine.

There are a lot of MS-DOS machines that are not IBM compatible. (Yes there
really are!) They've got to have something to do.

J DeBert

A-N-Onymouse@cup.portal.com

djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (02/04/89)

Not to belabor a small point, but I'm running Turbo Pascal version
3.01A on a Zenith Z-100, which is definitely an MSDOS machine, but is
definitely *not* IBM PC compatible.  I used the TINST terminal
installation program that came with TP 3 to set the program up for
a "Zenith" terminal.  There are lots of other choices...I don't know
if your MSDOS machine is specifically supported, offhand.

More recent versions (TP4 and TP5) may indeed not run on generic
MSDOS machines like mine, but if I need something that only TP4 or
TP5 can handle, I ask my wife to do it on our Zenith 159 XT-clone
at home!

When I must use a PC-clone, I prefer QuickBasic anyway (is such a
statement construed as blasphemy in this newsgroup???).

 Dick O'Connor
 Washington Department of Fisheries
 Olympia, Washington  98504
 Mail: djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu
 DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, not for the Department.

A-N-Onymouse@cup.portal.com (John - DeBert) (02/06/89)

In article <758@blake.acs.washington.edu>, dj07613@blake.acs.washington.edu
 (Dick O'Connor) writes:

>Not to belabor a small point, but I'm running Turbo Pascal version
>3.01A on a Zenith Z-100, which is definitely an MSDOS machine, but is
>definitely *not* IBM PC compatible.  I used the TINST terminal
>installation program that came with TP 3 to set the program up for
>a "Zenith" terminal.  There are lots of other choices...I don't know
>if your MSDOS machine is specifically supported, offhand.

OK, ok, TP3 or less will run on my HP but Borland will not provide any support.
The box for the latest TP release says that the system must be an IBM PC
or 100% compatible. ALl this machine-specific garp is disappointing. I wonder
if there might be some kind of (shhhh) conspiracy or something to eradicate
any machine that is not 100% IBM compatible?

>More recent versions (TP4 and TP5) may indeed not run on generic
>MSDOS machines like mine, but if I need something that only TP4 or
>TP5 can handle, I ask my wife to do it on our Zenith 159 XT-clone
>at home!

I guess I'll have to get meself an IBM compatible machine, just so that I
can use one of those "more efficient" products out there.

>When I must use a PC-clone, I prefer QuickBasic anyway (is such a
>statement construed as blasphemy in this newsgroup???).

[NOTICE: Observe tongue firmly within cheek!]
Saints Preserve us! How dare you use such foul language here! Begone, evil
Daemon! Begone!

J DeBert
A-N-Onymouse@cup.portal.com  (or) ...!sun!amdahl!dlb!netcom!onymouse
Telex: 6502636614  CI$ 75530,347  GEnie: A.N.Onymouse
Smail: P.O.Box 51754, Pacific Grove, CA 93950-6754

shurr@cbnews.ATT.COM (Larry A. Shurr) (02/07/89)

In article <14238@cup.portal.com> A-N-Onymouse@cup.portal.com (John - DeBert) writes:
>In article <2529@nunki.usc.edu> sawant@nunki.usc.edu writes:
[Why Microsoft Pascal?]
>Hopfully each version of MS Pascal will work on all MS-DOS machines? Turbo
>Pascal cannot but works only on IBM PC's & 100% compatibles. TP resolutely
>refuses to cooperate on my HP-150 running MS-DOS. I'm glad that there is
>*something* that will run on any MS-DOS machine.

>There are a lot of MS-DOS machines that are not IBM compatible. (Yes there
>really are!) They've got to have something to do.

The command line versions should work fine on your machine as long as you
avoid calling in any PC-specific units (not even Turbo3).  Both versions
4 and 5 have worked fine on my TI Pro.  Version 3.01A would not work until
I patched it, though many IBM PC-specific features would not work even then
(more work needed, but I had what I was after).  Still, it would be nice
to be able to use the integrated environment and the debugger - I guess
I'll have to get an IBM PC, anyway (donations welcome).

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (att!cbnews!cbema!las or osu-cis!apr!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave

A-N-Onymouse@cup.portal.com (John - DeBert) (02/08/89)

In article <3804@cbnews.ATT.COM>, shurr@cbnews.ATT.COM (Larry Shurr)
writes:

>In article <14238@cup.portal.com> A-N-Onymouse@cup.portal.com (John - DeBert) writes:
>>In article <2529@nunki.usc.edu> sawant@nunki.usc.edu writes:
>[Why Microsoft Pascal?]
>>Hopfully each version of MS Pascal will work on all MS-DOS machines? Turbo
>>Pascal cannot but works only on IBM PC's & 100% compatibles. TP resolutely
>>refuses to cooperate on my HP-150 running MS-DOS. I'm glad that there is
>>*something* that will run on any MS-DOS machine.
>
>>There are a lot of MS-DOS machines that are not IBM compatible. (Yes there
>>really are!) They've got to have something to do.
>
>The command line versions should work fine on your machine as long as you
>avoid calling in any PC-specific units (not even Turbo3).  Both versions
>4 and 5 have worked fine on my TI Pro.  Version 3.01A would not work until
>I patched it, though many IBM PC-specific features would not work even then
>(more work needed, but I had what I was after).  Still, it would be nice
>to be able to use the integrated environment and the debugger - I guess
>I'll have to get an IBM PC, anyway (donations welcome).
>
>regards, Larry
>--
>Signed: Larry A. Shurr (att!cbnews!cbema!las or osu-cis!apr!las)
>Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave
>(With apologies to the real thing.  The above represents my views only.)

I say again: TP will not run on my MS-DOS machine. Borland will not support
it on my machine either. The current version (TP5.whatever) has a box that
tells you that you must have an IBM PC or >100% compatible< running PCDOS
or OS/2.
I don't want to fiddle with it, kludge it or anything-else-with-it to get it
to run. MS Pascal runs out of the box.
I can think of other MS-DOS machines that cannot run any Borland product
at all.

JJD