[comp.lang.pascal] Turbo Pascal newsgroup

zifrony@TAURUS.BITNET (02/08/89)

I skim sometimes through the "comp.lang.pascal" newsgroup, and I find that
most messages refer to the Turbo Pascal environment.
As this newgroup should be dealing with the language Pascal, and not with
a specific implementation of it, I suggest forming a new newsgroup to deal
with matters concerning Borland's Turbo Pascal.

I think the formation of such a newsgroup will leave this newsgroup open
to general discussions about Pascal, and will not make life miserable for
those who want to discuss these issues.  We are tired of pressing the 'n'
key of the "rn" program.

Doron  Zifrony          zifrony@taurus.bitnet || zifrony@Math.Tau.Ac.IL
Msc. Student
Tel Aviv University
Israel

RWMIRA01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Rob Miracle) (02/10/89)

In Message <967@taurus.BITNET>, zifrony@TAURUS.BITNET writes:

>I skim sometimes through the "comp.lang.pascal" newsgroup, and I find that
>most messages refer to the Turbo Pascal environment.
>As this newgroup should be dealing with the language Pascal, and not with
>a specific implementation of it, I suggest forming a new newsgroup to deal
>with matters concerning Borland's Turbo Pascal.
[Text Deleted]

Well, this same discussion is going on in comp.lang.c at this moment over
PC Specific compilers.  This group is to discuss the language of Pascal.
Turbo Pascal is Pascal and this is one of the places to discuss it.

There are several concerns here.  First, traffic in this group is not that
great. (Though I don't know if we get everything or not).  Secondly, the IBM
specific stuff should be talked about in comp.sys.ibm.pc, however, it is on
the other hand overrun with messages.  Turbo Pascal is one of the most
popular implementations of Pascal around.  It is only logical that there be
a lot of discussion about it.  And where do Pascal programmers read?
comp.lang.pascal.  I read both comp.sys.ibm.pc and comp.lang.pascal and I
use Turbo Pascal.  I personally enjoy the discussions in comp.lang.pascal
better than having to weed through c.s.i.p.

-----
Rob Miracle              | Bitnet   : RWMIRA01@ULKYVX    CIS: 74216,3134
Programmer/Analyst-II    | INTERNET : rwmira01%ulkyvx.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
University of Louisville | UUCP     : ...psuvax1!ulkyvx.bitnet!rwmira01

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (02/10/89)

In article <8902092017.AA05288@jade.berkeley.edu> RWMIRA01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Rob Miracle) writes:
>In Message <967@taurus.BITNET>, zifrony@TAURUS.BITNET writes:
>There are several concerns here.  First, traffic in this group is not that
>great. (Though I don't know if we get everything or not).  Secondly, the IBM
>specific stuff should be talked about in comp.sys.ibm.pc, however, it is on
>the other hand overrun with messages.  Turbo Pascal is one of the most
>popular implementations of Pascal around.  It is only logical that there be
>a lot of discussion about it.  And where do Pascal programmers read?
>comp.lang.pascal.  I read both comp.sys.ibm.pc and comp.lang.pascal and I
>use Turbo Pascal.  I personally enjoy the discussions in comp.lang.pascal
>better than having to weed through c.s.i.p.

If the discussion pertains to the generic subject of Pascal programming
using the Turbo dialect, that should be fine.  I, personnally, am getting
annoyed with having to hit the "n" key so much to skip over the
interminable discussions of using Turbo to interface to the DOS interrupts
and other such PC-specific nonsense.  There are a lot of Pascal programmers
using the Macintosh and we keep our Mac-specific discussions in comp.sys.
mac.programming like we are supposed to, why can't Turbo on the PC programmers
do the same?

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!