[comp.lang.pascal] Is there a public-domain

rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) (04/16/89)

I'm interested in finding a Pascal compiler to run under UNIX (on a
Sun-3, though it would be nice if it ran on a VAX as well).  'pc'
doesn't even compile Pascal, let alone doing a good job of it.  Is
there any Pascal compiler out there?  Are there any which generate
halfway-decent code?  Any which are ISO compliant?

+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | "VMS Forever!"         | "Do worry...be SAD!" |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |                      |
+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+

art@buengc.BU.EDU (A. R. Thompson) (04/17/89)

In article <2552@cps3xx.UUCP> rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) writes:
>I'm interested in finding a Pascal compiler to run under UNIX (on a
>Sun-3, though it would be nice if it ran on a VAX as well).  'pc'
>doesn't even compile Pascal, let alone doing a good job of it.  Is
>there any Pascal compiler out there?  Are there any which generate
>halfway-decent code?  Any which are ISO compliant?

I've been using the Oregon Software Pascal-2 compiler.  It's really quite
good.  It has many of the extensions of the new proposed Extended Pascal,
functions that return structured results, dynamic strings, cantankerous
(oops, I meant conformant) arrays, a sort of separate compilation (not
quite right but almost), random access files and a whole bunch of little
things.  The code it generates runs fast but the object files are quite
large.  Unfortunately, it's not free, but it's worth it.