[comp.lang.pascal] Editor source in Turbo Pascal

shlee@watmum.waterloo.edu (Simon Lee) (04/23/89)

Does anyone know where I could obtain the source code for some simple
editor written in Turbo Pascal?  Thanks in advance.

Simon Lee
shlee@watmum.waterloo.edu

aqm@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Steve Weinrich) (04/24/89)

In article <9357@watcgl.waterloo.edu> shlee@watmum.waterloo.edu (Simon Lee) writes:
>Does anyone know where I could obtain the source code for some simple
>editor written in Turbo Pascal?  Thanks in advance.

   I believe there is an 'Editor ToolBox' sold by B-Land. I know a friend
who sat down with a buddy of his, and within the course of an afternoon,
using the blocks of code in this toolbox, developed a VERY NICE editor.

  Good luck!

-Steve

--
Steve Weinrich   -    Purdue University    -    Waterfront Computing Operations
E-Mail: aqm@{mace,mentor,h,i,j,k,s,staff}.cc.purdue.edu   hzm@en.ecn.purdue.edu

mitch@arcturus.UUCP (Mitchell S. Gorman) (04/25/89)

In article <9357@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, shlee@watmum.waterloo.edu (Simon Lee) writes:
> Does anyone know where I could obtain the source code for some simple
> editor written in Turbo Pascal?  Thanks in advance.

> Simon Lee
> shlee@watmum.waterloo.edu

Have you considered the Editor Toolbox from Borland???

Just thought I'd ask.
:^)

Mitch @ Rockwell, Anaheim

Disclaimer:	If you wanna spend the time to figger it out, it's pretty
		ok.

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (04/26/89)

In article <9357@watcgl.waterloo.edu> shlee@watmum.waterloo.edu (Simon Lee) writes:
<Does anyone know where I could obtain the source code for some simple
<editor written in Turbo Pascal?  Thanks in advance.

This may not be "simple" enough for what you want but have you tried
Borland's Turbo Editor Toolbox?

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

sawant@nunki.usc.edu (Abhay Sawant) (04/27/89)

In article <4445@arcturus> mitch@arcturus.UUCP (Mitchell S. Gorman) writes:
>In article <9357@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, shlee@watmum.waterloo.edu (Simon Lee) writes:
>> Does anyone know where I could obtain the source code for some simple
>> editor written in Turbo Pascal?  Thanks in advance.
>
>Have you considered the Editor Toolbox from Borland???

It's a wonderful toolbox, but it's not really very simple and perhaps
too bulky to be 'tucked away' inside something you're writing.  I
think it'd be neat having something which'd be

procedure editor(x1, y1, x2, y2: byte; p:linepointer);

It'd allow simple editing (a la Sidekick) inside a window between
x1,y1 and x2,y2, it'd be nondestructive in that you don't have to save
background etc., it'd take the initial text as a linked list of lines
and return you the edited version through whatever p points to.

Yes, such an editor procedure would be real neat, esp. if it were a
TPU of 10k or less.  Anyone know where i may look?  Or do you have
source like this?

You're never too old to have a happy childhood.

ajay shah (213)745-2923 or sawant@nunki.usc.edu

weyrich@csun1.UUCP (Orville Weyrich) (05/01/89)

From article <3632@nunki.usc.edu>, by sawant@nunki.usc.edu (Abhay Sawant):
> In article <4445@arcturus> mitch@arcturus.UUCP (Mitchell S. Gorman) writes:
>>In article <9357@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, shlee@watmum.waterloo.edu (Simon Lee) writes:
>>> Does anyone know where I could obtain the source code for some simple
>>> editor written in Turbo Pascal?  Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Have you considered the Editor Toolbox from Borland???
>
> It's a wonderful toolbox, but it's not really very simple and perhaps
> too bulky to be 'tucked away' inside something you're writing.

Are you thinking of the version 3.0 toolbox or the version 4.0 toolbox?
The 4.0 toolbox has added the Borlan "Binary Editor" which is essentially
the editor used by TP itself, and which occupies 14K of RAM.

It is intended to be used with a short sequence of command functions:
	InitBinaryEditor ( various parameters, including EdCB )
	ReadFileBinaryEditor ( file name, EdCB )
	UseBinaryEditor ( EdCB )
	WriteFileBinaryEditor ( file name, EdCB )
	ReleaseBinaryEditorHeap ( EdCB )

It should not be too hard to hack versions of ReadFileBinaryEditor and
WriteFileBinaryEditor to use a linked list rather than a file, since
the EdCB (editor control block) contains a pointer to the internal
data structure.

Let me know if this works out!

--
Orville R. Weyrich, Jr.          | UUCP    : ...gatech!csun1!weyrich
Department of Computer Science   | INTERNET: weyrich@csun1.cs.uga.edu