[comp.lang.pascal] VMS pascal input problems

dor@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Douglas R. Oosting) (07/12/89)

Im having a bit of a problem with a file transfer protocol and am wondering
if anyone can help me.
Basically, Im uploading binary data from PC to VAX--this data including
codes 01-31.  Of course, ^Q, ^S, ^C, ^Y -- maybe others, I havent tried
yet -- never get as far as the actual program and are not written to
the file, as VMS interprets them first.  setting $ set nocontrol=(y,t)
doesn't help--the codes in question still dont get to the receiver.

Is there an easy (relative) way to have these codes pass directly to
my program?  (I would like to avoid using ASTs) -- obviously the *real*
easy way would be to set the high-order bit -- but I've been told that
those codes (129-159) are "reserved" (or at least my boss would prefer
they not be used like that).

Is there an easy way out of this mess at the transmission end?  Or do
I have to "encode" my data a bit?

Thanks for any help,
Doug Oosting

dor@beach.cis.ufl.edu   fairs@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu
--
Entropy Requires     | Douglas R. Oosting, University of Florida
No maintenance...    | dor@beach.cis.ufl.edu or Pendragon@oak.circa.ufl.edu

grimesg@magic (George Grimes) (07/13/89)

In article <20582@bikini.cis.ufl.EDU> dor@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Douglas R. Oosting) writes:
>Im having a bit of a problem with a file transfer protocol and am wondering
>if anyone can help me.
>Basically, Im uploading binary data from PC to VAX--this data including
>codes 01-31.  Of course, ^Q, ^S, ^C, ^Y -- maybe others, I havent tried
>yet -- never get as far as the actual program and are not written to
>the file, as VMS interprets them first.  setting $ set nocontrol=(y,t)
>doesn't help--the codes in question still dont get to the receiver.
>
>Is there an easy (relative) way to have these codes pass directly to
>my program?

I believe the terminal driver is getting in your way.  Try doing a
SET TERM/NOTTSYNC/PASTHRU on the port you are using for the transfer.

George

DOMAIN: grimesg@sj.ate.slb.com           | George Grimes
UUCP:   {decwrl,uunet}!sjsca4!grimesg    | Schlumberger Technologies
INTERNET: grimesg%sjs@sdr.slb.com        | 840 Avenue F #108
PHONE:  (214)422-7200                    | Plano, Tx. 75074

Dis-claimer(as opposed to dat-claimer):
If my employers knew that I had an opinion, they probably wouldn't approve of
the opinion or the fact that I had it.