[comp.lang.pascal] USEFUL advice about TP 5.5, please

thurn@cis.ohio-state.edu (Martin 'Sulu' Thurn) (07/25/89)

OOP?  Who cares about a 70's comic strip cave man?  Not I!

Can some TurboPascal 5.5 "veterans" give us some _useful_ descriptions of
the new version?  Let the following be a guide for your discussion:

Can TP automatically save the pick file when we Run?
Are we still restricted to one editor window?
Are we still limited to 4 Ctrl-K # text position savers?
Does the debugger understand WITH statements, so we don't have to waste half
  our watch window with the name of the variable?
Is there a hot-key for Locate procedure/function symbol, so we don't have
  to type in the whole name?
If we accidentally press F9 instead of Ctrl-F9 while debugging, is TP smart
  enough to just say "no changes have been made" instead of trashing the
  current debug session?
Is the "smart" display swapper _really_ smart enough to not flash the screen
  at us when we're just performing a simple assignment statement?
Can we, or can we not, cut and paste examples from help windows?
Can we display reserved words / strings / comments in different colors (like
  Quick Pascal's editor)?
Can we stop execution and drop to the debugger on the 99th iteration of a
  loop without pushing Ctrl-F9 99 times?
Can we be sure that when we push Alt-F9 while editing an .INC file,
  TP will remember which parent file to start compiling?

Resolution of these, among other, bugs would make the upgrade worthwhile
for me.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a loyal and satisfied TP user; I just
think that Borland should repair what they've got before trying something new.

---Martin Thurn    thurn@cis.ohio-state.edu

Disclaimer: The preceding statements are n...Wait a minute! I AM the company!

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (07/25/89)

In article <55930@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> thurn@cis.ohio-state.edu (Martin 'Sulu' Thurn) writes:
>OOP?  Who cares about a 70's comic strip cave man?  Not I!
>
>Can some TurboPascal 5.5 "veterans" give us some _useful_ descriptions of
>the new version?  Let the following be a guide for your discussion:
>
>Can TP automatically save the pick file when we Run?
... rest of the list deleted ...

I shall add one question.  When will we have the option of the huge
model in TP? In other words the possibility of having arrays of over
64K.  (Of course one can trick one's way around this limitation, and
there is the Turbo Professional 5.0 solution, but this is not fast
enough for all tasks.)

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (07/26/89)

In article <55930@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> thurn@cis.ohio-state.edu (Martin 'Sulu' Thurn) writes:
>OOP?  Who cares about a 70's comic strip cave man?  Not I!
>
>Can some TurboPascal 5.5 "veterans" give us some _useful_ descriptions of
>the new version?  Let the following be a guide for your discussion:

There are very few changes to 5.5 other than the OOP additions.

>Can TP automatically save the pick file when we Run?
>Are we still restricted to one editor window?
>Are we still limited to 4 Ctrl-K # text position savers?
>Does the debugger understand WITH statements, so we don't have to waste half
>  our watch window with the name of the variable?
>Is there a hot-key for Locate procedure/function symbol, so we don't have
>  to type in the whole name?
>If we accidentally press F9 instead of Ctrl-F9 while debugging, is TP smart
>  enough to just say "no changes have been made" instead of trashing the
>  current debug session?
>Is the "smart" display swapper _really_ smart enough to not flash the screen
>  at us when we're just performing a simple assignment statement?

The answer to all of these is "No change from 5.0!"

>Can we, or can we not, cut and paste examples from help windows?

Here's a yes!

>Can we display reserved words / strings / comments in different colors (like
>  Quick Pascal's editor)?
>Can we stop execution and drop to the debugger on the 99th iteration of a
>  loop without pushing Ctrl-F9 99 times?

No, and I thought you always could.  (I'm talking about TD; I don't think
it's possible in the IDE.)  Use the View Breakpoint F10 Condition Pass count
choice, or something like that.

>Can we be sure that when we push Alt-F9 while editing an .INC file,
>  TP will remember which parent file to start compiling?

No change. (Set the Primary file in the Compile menu if you want Alt-F9
to work properly.  And remember to save your options locally, if you ever
want to compile anything else :-)

Things you didn't ask about:

The overlay manager is a tiny bit smarter now.  Instead of cycling units
through the buffer, it can move frequently used ones to the front.  It can
also handle overlays attached to the EXE file.

The Extended type coprocessor stack overflow bug is fixed.

I can't think of anything more at the moment... but if you don't want to
use OOP, and aren't just curious, I think you should wait for 6.0.

Duncan Murdoch