[comp.lang.pascal] File existence and Pascal in Sun 4

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (08/20/89)

I have written a fair number of Turbo Pascal programs, but much
fewer on standard pascal.  I wonder if someone would save me the
trouble of finding out some elementary things myself considering Sun
4 pc-compiler pascal.  To start with, is there a function for
finding out whether a file exists, like using IOResult in Turbo
Pascal.  If not, any other reasonable way without resorting to
systems access (or whatever) or C-programming.  This to start with.
I shall probably have some more questions later.

Email is welcome, but a in my opinion messages here in the news are
preferable, because that way knowledge disseminates better.  (And
that is what this system is all about, if you pardon my
meta-comment.)

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

jourdan@seti.inria.fr (jourdan martin joseph) (08/22/89)

In article <708@chyde.uwasa.fi> ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>... considering Sun
>4 pc-compiler pascal.  To start with, is there a function for
>finding out whether a file exists, like using IOResult in Turbo
>Pascal.  If not, any other reasonable way without resorting to
>systems access (or whatever) or C-programming.

As far as I know (at least I am pretty sure of what I say for Sun-3's
and Ultrix, so I don't see why this would be different on Sun-4's),
you *have* to resort to features outside of Pascal to test file
existence.  To reduce your grief, all I can say is that it is very
easy to call from Pascal the routines in the C library, including
"access" which would fit your needs.  If you're interested I can post
a few lines of code doing the job.
--

Martin Jourdan <jourdan@minos.inria.fr>, INRIA, Rocquencourt, France.
My employers have no opinion and they guarantee my freedom of expression.