[comp.lang.pascal] turbo debuger dies on my 386

beser@tron.UUCP (Eric Beser) (08/22/89)

I cannot run the turbo debugger on my 386 machine with
4meg of extended memory.

I get an interrupt 0D trap and the system hangs.

My machine is an HP VECTRA RS20. Anybody else have this
problem,or is there a fix from borland for this problem.

Eric Beser
ebeser@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu      eric@sarin.UUCP

chad@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (D. Chadwick Gibbons) (08/23/89)

In article <435@tron.UUCP> beser@tron.UUCP (Eric Beser) writes:
|I cannot run the turbo debugger on my 386 machine with
|4meg of extended memory.  I get an interrupt 0D trap and the system hangs.

	More than likely you have both an extended memory .SYS file and the
Debugger's .SYS file in your configuration.  I had a similar problem on a
UniSys 80386 and the solution is simple to remove the extended memory manager
file.  I.E., your CONFIG.SYS file should look like the following:

files=20
buffers=30
device=tdh386.sys

Do not include EMM.SYS - try that and see if it works. Make sure you run the
debugger with "td386" instead of "td."
--
D. Chadwick Gibbons (chad@csd4.csd.uwm.edu)

manuel@hpspkla.HP.COM (John L. Manuel) (08/24/89)

>|I cannot run the turbo debugger on my 386 machine with
>|4meg of extended memory.  I get an interrupt 0D trap and the system hangs.
>
>Do not include EMM.SYS - try that and see if it works. Make sure you run the
>debugger with "td386" instead of "td."

If that doesn't work you might want to try this....

   (I bought a Vectra RS/20 for personal use at home, I also have a early
   version).  I think the problem might be with the use of turbo debugger and
   HP-HIL.  When I first tryed TD386 on my RS/20 it would start to load then
   clear the sreen, give a message about interrupt or trap 06 then say it
   had encounted an invalid instruction, and proceed to print the values of
   all the CPU registers on the screen (ie,EAX, BAX,... DI, SI, ...DS,CS,IP)
   and halt.

What to do about this...

   I discovered that by running the SETUP program (on the RS/20 setup disk),
   and going into the screen that allows you to turn on and off HIL, EX-BIOS,
   key click parsing, and bunch of other stuff; turn off the HIL stuff.  Then
   turbo debugger worked fine.

   Well I didn't like this because I have an HP-HIL mouse. soo... if you dump,
   list or whatever... the HPMODE.EXE program (also on the setup disk, I think)
   you will find strings for a whole bunch of "un-documented" parameters.  So
   inside a batch file you can put:

   HPMODE HIL OFF
   TD386
   HPMODE HIL ON

   At least this has worked great for me.. I can use the mouse anytime, execpt
   in TD386, and TD386 works GREAT!!

   Hope this helps,

   John L. Manuel
   manuel@hpspkla.HP.COM

P.S.
   I have nothing to do with Vectras except that I own one.  I do not work with
   the people who build them, and have not talked to them about this, it may
   be fixed, or may not have been the problem.  And I am sure that these
   opinions are not the feelings of my employer......and whatever else I need
   to say here to keep from getting in trouble for saying one, small 'bad'
   thing about a machine I otherwise love.