[comp.lang.pascal] COM port operation under TPascal

johnc@dasys1.UUCP (John Canati) (08/28/89)

I'm trying to access the COM1: port using TPascal 3.1 and 5.0, both with
no success.  I was told that I could simply "writeln" or "read" using
the device AUX, without any prior assigns or rewrites.

A simple program containing one line of code like:

writeln(AUX,'a');

... would lock-up the 286 compatible I was using.

Any suggestions?  How about COM2?

-Thanks in advance - John (johnc@dasys1)

--
John Canati
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

al@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Al Viall) (09/06/89)

In article <10559@dasys1.UUCP>, johnc@dasys1.UUCP (John Canati) writes:
> I'm trying to access the COM1: port using TPascal 3.1 and 5.0, both with
> no success.  I was told that I could simply "writeln" or "read" using
> the device AUX, without any prior assigns or rewrites.
>
> A simple program containing one line of code like:
>
> writeln(AUX,'a');
>
> ... would lock-up the 286 compatible I was using.

You might want to try using COM2. Some compatibles are like that, some are
like that for stupid reasons.
I believe that the AUX device designation does not work well in TP3.0 and
was only truly implemented in 5.0 and up.
I have a NECMultispeed HD at home, and I have to use COM2 designation for
the internal 1200baud but with many others it would be COM1.
Also, you MUST have something hooked up to the RIGHT port for it to work
properly.

        " Just when you got used to 5.0, here it is all over again. Blah"

--
  | Albert Viall                     |   EMAIL:al@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG |
  | ARPA: al@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG  |   FIDONET: 1:242/2                |