[comp.lang.pascal] Accessing DOS Environment in TP 5.0

msc_wrak@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Robert Anthony Koyak) (09/11/89)

TP 5.0 has built-in functions that will count the number of
environment variables and read their values.  Is there a (fairly
straightforward, I hope!) way to assign a value to an environment
variable from TP 5.0?

-- Bob Koyak
-- Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
-- The Johns Hopkins Univ., Balto. MD

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (BOSTATER,Scott) (09/12/89)

In article <2485@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, msc_wrak@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Robert Anthony Koyak) writes:

> TP 5.0 has built-in functions that will count the number of
> environment variables and read their values.  Is there a (fairly
> straightforward, I hope!) way to assign a value to an environment
> variable from TP 5.0?

Nope! Your modifications to the environment will last only as long as the
program that changes them is loaded in RAM.

Check the October 1989 issue of Dr. Dobbs Journal for an article that
deals exactly with this subject and how to get around it.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it myself, I just glanced through the article
            Today.
--
Scott Bostater      GTRI/RAIL/RAD   (Ga. Tech)
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1