[comp.lang.pascal] TeePee for OS2

nacer@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Abdenacer Moussaoui) (09/15/89)

Does anybody know when borland is planning to release a TP for OS2,
like everybody we would like to port our tools to this new environment
with little effort as possible? (re-compile)

Does MS pascal (4.0) support OS2?

Thank you.

boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) (09/23/89)

In article <1490003@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com> nacer@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Abdenacer Moussaoui) writes:

>Does anybody know when borland is planning to release a TP for OS2,
>like everybody we would like to port our tools to this new environment
>with little effort as possible? (re-compile)
>
>Does MS pascal (4.0) support OS2?
>
>Thank you.

According to a recent PC Week article, Borland has decided to put Turbo
language products for OS/2 on the shelf for awhile and concentrate on
Windows products.  According to Borland, they ran some surveys and
concluded that the buyers of their language products didn't place a
high priority on OS/2 versions.

Some comments from me:

1) One major reason why I haven't scrambled to write any code for OS/2
(even non-production code which would only serve to teach me various
concepts) is because I wouldn't be able to use TP.

2) How did they conduct this survey?  Who are these programmers who
don't want a version for OS/2?  Am I in a minority?

Brendan
--
Brendan B. Boerner		Phone: 512/471-3241
Microcomputer Technologies	The University of Texas @ Austin

gaz@boulder.Colorado.EDU (GAZ RANDALL LOUIS) (09/23/89)

In article <18698@ut-emx.UUCP> boerner@emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) writes:
>In article <1490003@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com> nacer@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Abdenacer Moussaoui) writes:
>>
>>Does anybody know when borland is planning to release a TP for OS2,
>>like everybody we would like to port our tools to this new environment
>>with little effort as possible? (re-compile)
>>
>>Does MS pascal (4.0) support OS2?
>>
>>Thank you.
>
>According to a recent PC Week article, Borland has decided to put Turbo
>language products for OS/2 on the shelf for awhile and concentrate on
>Windows products.  According to Borland, they ran some surveys and
>concluded that the buyers of their language products didn't place a
>high priority on OS/2 versions.

The reason that Borland ( and other developers ) are not working on
OS/2 products is because there is no market (yet).

Windows is outselling OS/2 by a very wide margin, so there is MONEY involved
with Windows, but not OS/2.

The only market segment that OS/2 is doing well in is with developers, because
it has memory protection features for debugging those pesky pointer bugs.

I am not flaming OS/2, in fact I will get a copy when I get a 386, but there
is no one with money who wants it right now.

Randall Gaz