[comp.lang.pascal] Output to printer.

c_wilson@oxy.edu (Clarence Regis Wilson) (09/28/89)

You can send your output to the printer using the following commands:

uses printer;

writeln(lst,'This will be sent to printer');

Remember, though, that the string will be sent only to the printer.
If you must see the output on the screen also, you must duplicate
the 8
*writeln* statement without the *lst* option.

c_wilson@oxy.edu (Clarence Regis Wilson) (09/28/89)

You may send your output to the printer using the following commands:

uses printer;

writeln(lst,'This will be output to the printer device');

Remember, though, that the output will \_only_/ be sent to the printer.
If you want to see the string on the screen, you must duplicate the
*writeln* command without using the *lst* option.

brianr@phred.UUCP (Brian Reese) (09/30/89)

In article <50331@tiger.oxy.edu> c_wilson@oxy.edu (Clarence Regis Wilson) writes:
>You can send your output to the printer using the following commands:
>
>uses printer;
>
>writeln(lst,'This will be sent to printer');
>
>Remember, though, that the string will be sent only to the printer.
>If you must see the output on the screen also, you must duplicate
>the 8
>*writeln* statement without the *lst* option.

OK, OK.  I'll give in.  The original poster is using Turbo 3.02.  3.0 does not
*use* any units.  The simplest way I see to do this is to redefine the
standard Output to prn as follows:

program Test(Output);

begin
  WriteLn('This is CRT output');
  Assign(Output, 'prn');
  ReWrite(Output);
  WriteLn('This is PRN output');
end.

Good luck.
Brian

--
Brian Reese                           uw-beaver!pilchuck!seahcx!phred!brianr
Physio Control Corp., Redmond, Wa.                         brianr@phred.UUCP

In article <2765@phred.UUCP> brianr@phred.UUCP (Brian Reese) writes:

>OK, OK.  I'll give in.  The original poster is using Turbo 3.02.  3.0 does not
>*use* any units.  The simplest way I see to do this is to redefine the
>standard Output to prn as follows:
>
>begin
>  WriteLn('This is CRT output');
>  Assign(Output, 'prn');
>  ReWrite(Output);
>  WriteLn('This is PRN output');
>end.

I just posted this, then a couple of articles later, someone said this would
not work with 3.02.  I am using 4.0 (haven't used 3.0 for some time) and was
pretty sure it would work with 3.0.  If it doesn't, sorry.  As Gilda would
say: "Never mind."  :-)

Brian

--
Brian Reese                           uw-beaver!pilchuck!seahcx!phred!brianr
Physio Control Corp., Redmond, Wa.                         brianr@phred.UUCP
"Do not write on this line.  This line has been left blank intentionally."

brianr@phred.UUCP (Brian Reese) (10/02/89)

Attn: Joe Duval

Joe, your mail bounced so here is my reply.

In reference to the following code:

>program Test(Output);
>
>begin
>  WriteLn('This is CRT output');
>  Assign(Output, 'prn');
>  ReWrite(Output);
>  WriteLn('This is PRN output');
>end.

you suggested that the second WriteLn should explicity use the standard device
Output, i.e.

	WriteLn(Output, 'This is PRN output');

Well, it's my understanding that when Write or WriteLn is called with no device
specification, it defaults to Output, whatever Output is defined to be.  In
this case, it is redefined as 'prn'.  I admit, this does not solve the original
posters problem because this doesn't work with Turbo 3.0,  (can't reassign a
standard device, which I figured out last weekend), but I did run it on 4.0 and
got the correct result.

Thanx for responding.
Brian