[comp.lang.pascal] Homework questions

demon@thor.wright.edu (Brett Kottman) (09/30/89)

From article <803@chyde.uwasa.fi>, by ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK):
>    {$I-}
>    writeln (f, 'My message on homework has been obviously heeded to :-)');
>    {$I+}
> Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
> School of Business Studies, University of Vaasa, SF-65101, Finland
> Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

	I find your attitude of accusing people of trying to get their
homework done over the net condescending and arrogant.  You obviously
wish to prompote yourself as a Pascal God, dispensing your wisdom only
to approved questions that do not appear to be homework.
	Well, I for one will help anyone, anytime with any question.  I
still remeber the time when it was I who had questions on "simple"
problems that probably looked like homework.  Even if it is a homework
question, this is a legitimate place to look for an answer.  Citing the
reference/person who helped neatly takes care of the palgiarism issue.
	If we take on an attitude that only "proper" questions can be
answered on the net, then we all become elitests, something that is
anthema to the net.
	So, users, keep on asking those questions, even if they are
homework, and don't be intimidated by anyone who flames you.  It is hard
enought to get people to ask for help in class because of the
intimidation factor involved.  The net is designed to overcome barriers
like this.

						Brett Kottmann
						demon@eve.wright.edu
						bkottmann@wright.edu
						Wright State Univ.

A member of an institute of higher learning.  This means I'm here to
teach, not to sit in judgement of others knowledge.

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (10/03/89)

In article <698@thor.wright.EDU> demon@thor.wright.edu writes:
>From article <803@chyde.uwasa.fi>, by ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK):
>>    writeln (f, 'My message on homework has been obviously heeded to :-)');
>	I find your attitude of accusing people of trying to get their
>homework done over the net condescending and arrogant.  You obviously

Oh come on now.  This is really unfair!

Incidentally, don't you know about the  :-) Smiley.

demon@thor.wright.edu (Brett Kottman) (10/04/89)

From article <817@chyde.uwasa.fi>, by ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK):
> In article <698@thor.wright.EDU> demon@thor.wright.edu writes:
>>From article <803@chyde.uwasa.fi>, by ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK):
>>>    writeln (f, 'My message on homework has been obviously heeded to :-)');
>>	I find your attitude of accusing people of trying to get their
>>homework done over the net condescending and arrogant.  You obviously
>
> Oh come on now.  This is really unfair!
>
> Incidentally, don't you know about the  :-) Smiley.

	Yes, I do know about the smiley.  However, new posters will not,
nor will they understand an attitude of "don't post homework" as meaning
"don't try to get someone else to DO your homework".  If they are
looking for help, hints, etc.  they should not feel as if they are doing
something wrong.
	My reaction may have been on the dramatic side, but as a
teacher, it is hard to make students understand that no question is dumb
if you don't understand the problem.  The Net is a perfect place to ask
questions that a student wouldn't otherwise ask because they were
afraid to look "stupid" in class.
	Basically, if you feel the question is obviously "easy" to
answer, a reference to a text or some psuedo code would be just as easy
to write up as a "don't ask this" type message, and far more helpful to
the poster.
	Perhaps it is time to split the group into lang.pascal and
lang.pascal.wizards, like the unix group is.  Then those who don't wish
to wade through often posted questions can unsubscribe from lang.pascal.

	Well, now that that is cleared up :) would anyone care to
initiate a CALL FOR DISCUSSION on lang.pascal.wizards?

							Brett Kottmann
							Wright State U.
Thesaurus:  a legendary tome in the preatomic and atmoic age, extinct
due to lack of use during the computer age.