[comp.lang.pascal] Debating versus abuse

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (10/05/89)

My apologies to other netters for continuing this discussion here.
I would have mailed, but Brett's address bounces.

Brett Kottman writes:
>nor will they understand an attitude of "don't post homework" as meaning
>"don't try to get someone else to DO your homework".  If they are
>looking for help, hints, etc.  they should not feel as if they are doing
>something wrong.

We have no disagreement here.  Learning should be encouraged.
Asking questions and finding answers is part of that.  And that is
where we should help, at the same time avoiding doing students' own
work for them.

>	My reaction may have been on the dramatic side, but as a
>teacher, it is hard to make students understand that no question is dumb
>if you don't understand the problem.  The Net is a perfect place to ask

The rules of the net, and indeed any communication, is that we must
be able to distinguish between two things:

1) Disagreeing with another person's opinions and suggestions.  To
simplify this is called debating.

2) Attacking or deliberately insulting the person expressing
expressing divergent opinions.  To simplify this is called abuse.

>	Well, now that that is cleared up :) would anyone care to

True, Brett, as far item 1 is concerned, but your insult remains.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun