[comp.lang.pascal] Rotation of triangle

wayne@cs.odu.edu (C Wayne Huling) (10/03/89)

    I am writting a program which needs to move a triangle along a grid.
This triangle should turn, and what I need is a routine which will rotate
a triangle of varing proportion 360 degrees.  This is not a Homework problem
just another feeble attempt ot Karel the Robot.  The only alternative I have
is making a series of animated frames.  Really don't like this idea but....

		Any suggestions would be greatly appretiated!

		Wayne  wayne@cs.odu.edu

In article <10079@xanth.cs.odu.edu> wayne@cs.odu.edu (C Wayne Huling) writes:

>    I am writting a program which needs to move a triangle along a grid.
>This triangle should turn, and what I need is a routine which will rotate
>a triangle of varing proportion 360 degrees.  This is not a Homework problem
>just another feeble attempt ot Karel the Robot.  The only alternative I have
>is making a series of animated frames.  Really don't like this idea but....
>
>		Any suggestions would be greatly appretiated!

	This is being done in TP5.5, if anyone has routines already done....

		Wayne wayne@cs.odu.edu

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron 'Max' Guernsey) (10/05/89)

In article <10081@xanth.cs.odu.edu> wayne@cs.odu.edu (C Wayne Huling) writes:

>>    I am writting a program which needs to move a triangle along a grid.
>>This triangle should turn, and what I need is a routine which will rotate
>>a triangle of varing proportion 360 degrees.  This is not a Homework problem

I'm not sure this could be called true rotation, but I have written very slow
programs that attempted to rotate cubes on axis by imagining the 4 points of
the cube to be on two circles. Then, I rotated the points around the circle
using trig ratios. It works quite nicely, but I don't know that it is the best
way to rotate anything. At any rate, I'm sure if you wanted to use the same
idea on a triangle, it would work. Anyone know of a better way to do it? The
cube I made rotated fairly slow at incretements of about 5 degrees...but such
would be expected with a slow 4 mghtz ibm (no offense to ibm users). I remember
seeing a very awesome cube on an iris system running unix. The cube was similar
to the famed rubics cube and you could use the mouse to rotate the levels in
any direction and use the cube exactly like a rubics cube...I think it had a
mode where the computer attempting to solve the cube after you messed it up.
Has anyone else seen this program?

--
Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey                |       ///  //\\
specter@disk.UUCP     or                |      ///  //  \\