[comp.lang.pascal] Moving graphic images on screen

KROON@tops20.radc.af.mil (10/10/89)

I am writing a simulation program.  In the simulation I need to display a
horizontal readout.  I want the display to scroll from right to left after
one screen fills up.
	Currently this happens, but the graphics refresh rate is too slow
to look good.  The first pass is written to the screen with outtext lines
which fill from left to right.  Next I use getimage and put image to move
the graphics already on the screen.  Getimage and putimage are too darn
slow.  I am using a vga screen in 640x480.  I would like to use some other
code to move the images but I am not sure what would work best or at all.
	I know images can be slid with a smooth motion across the screen
ie Bananoid for the VGA AT.  I am using an AT by the way.  I do not know
how I would even be willing to use some very specific inline code to do
the moves for me.

	Thanks in advance any help would be appreciated.
		Tom Kroon
-------

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (10/10/89)

In article <21086@adm.BRL.MIL> KROON@tops20.radc.af.mil writes:
>I am writing a simulation program.  In the simulation I need to display a
>horizontal readout.  I want the display to scroll from right to left after
>one screen fills up.
>	Currently this happens, but the graphics refresh rate is too slow
>to look good.  The first pass is written to the screen with outtext lines
>which fill from left to right.  Next I use getimage and put image to move
>the graphics already on the screen.  Getimage and putimage are too darn
>slow.  I am using a vga screen in 640x480.  I would like to use some other

   I have tackled a somewhat similar problem, but in the *textmode*.
In other words I have written routines that scroll the text on the
screen from left to right (or vice versa).  Image-type procedures,
as you say, are too slow.  I managed to solve my problem without any
inline code by applying move on videomemory, but I cannot say
offhand whether this method would applicable in the graphics mode,
at all.
   But, if you have any use for the textmode left-right scroll, it
is available as a tpu unit in /pc/ts/tspas13.arc.  The source is not
included, though.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun